Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #1201
SpartyParty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Couple of questions before I get started...

1. Will most any lead free silver solder work with Stay Clean flux?

2. For a 2" ferrule (for an element) is it best to dimple out or in?

3. Will this work for the dimple tool? http://www.amazon.com/Buttweld-Conce...entric+reducer

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #1202
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I got this one and it worked so far for my 2" hole. I also plan on using it for my 1.5" hole.

I got these two female couplers. When they arrived I thought I could have just used the first socket weld one but it wouldn't let me pull the reducer through enough. Glad I got the 2" coupler.

I dimpled out - but I am wondering how to solder it up tonight because I want to coil it around the T-C fitting on the inside, to fill the dimple. Will I have to heat it from the inside or can I heat the fitting from outside the keg (underneath) and and let the solder flow that way???

I wish I would have seen that fitting. I wanted one like that. It should work, I think those are inside measurements and OD should be around 2.375 based on this site, but hopefully someone else can chime in.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #1203
AllanMar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cank View Post
I dimpled out - but I am wondering how to solder it up tonight because I want to coil it around the T-C fitting on the inside, to fill the dimple. Will I have to heat it from the inside or can I heat the fitting from outside the keg (underneath) and and let the solder flow that way???

I wish I would have seen that fitting. I wanted one like that. It should work, I think those are inside measurements and OD should be around 2.375 based on this site, but hopefully someone else can chime in.
You never want to heat the side your applying solder, youll burn off all the flux and you'll have a hell of a time getting the solder to "stick". flux and solder the inside and then heat the other side, focusing most of your heat on the ferrule rather then the keg. Check out the video posted on here if your still not sure.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #1204
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Got it. Thanks.

Turned out pretty good. I'll do a leak test tonight.

image-1758958388.jpg   image-1220180591.jpg  

Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1205
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone soldered the coupler so that it sticks out into the vessel? What I mean is currently I use the weldless valves and this setup as most of you know has the coupler on the inside and the valve wedged again the exterior wall of the vessel. I have no issue with this the way it is now and all my fittings for the inside are already measured etc for this length. Does any one see any reason why I would not keep this configuration? Negatives?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #1206
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69 View Post
Has anyone soldered the coupler so that it sticks out into the vessel? What I mean is currently I use the weldless valves and this setup as most of you know has the coupler on the inside and the valve wedged again the exterior wall of the vessel. I have no issue with this the way it is now and all my fittings for the inside are already measured etc for this length. Does any one see any reason why I would not keep this configuration? Negatives?
I have one like that on my kettle, works just fine.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #1207
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post

I have one like that on my kettle, works just fine.
Yeah, I kinda figured it was for cosmetic reasons, I can see for bottom draining etc why you would want it flush on the inside, but when you have a dip tube to pick up the wort it should not matter much.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #1208
SpartyParty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

will this work for solder and flux? Silver solder no lead. I will be using it to solder a grounding screw inside an element housing.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1290620

Thanks
Steve

Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #1209
matc
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Well I've been told regular paste flux won't cut it for soldering ss. I went with stay clean (harris products) and soldered my 1" nuts and valve easily

Old 04-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #1210
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, I've tried that stuff before also and found that it didn't work. Save yourself the frustration and get the Harris stuff.

I got the kit from Airgas for $7.50 and it was enough to solder quite a few bulkheads in my kegs.

Quick Reply