The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #1111
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
LiquidFlame's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 369
Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Is it ok to use paint thinner instead of acetone for cleaning up the dimple and coupler before soldering?

LiquidFlame is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #1112
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
Is it ok to use paint thinner instead of acetone for cleaning up the dimple and coupler before soldering?
Nope, use acetone or laquer thinner. Even iso alcohol would be better than paint thinner.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1113
CoalCracker
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CoalCracker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Macungie, Pa
Posts: 1,588
Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

I used MEK and that worked fine.

__________________

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

CoalCracker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #1114
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
LiquidFlame's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 369
Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguitar View Post

Because of the longer tapered threads, there is a gap between the box and the coupling. It would need to be snugged up. I just went out and was going to see if the locknut I have would fit in the gap but my garage is so messy from all of this stuff that couldn't find it right now.
I guess I still don't get how kal's electric box setup wouldn't work. I plan on using it with a 1" welding spud, and it seems like it would be pretty snug.
LiquidFlame is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #1115
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jsguitar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,015
Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
I guess I still don't get how kal's electric box setup wouldn't work. I plan on using it with a 1" welding spud, and it seems like it would be pretty snug.
You may have missed that I'm using an unusual NPT threaded element instead of the usual NPS. The NPT threads are tapered and seal with the threads unlike the NPS which threads all the way down and seals with the gasket. That's what allows the box to be secured tight against the kettle. I'm assuming you're using a water heater element, in which case it will work perfectly (I think).

With my element, even when screwed all the way in, there's a big gap between the box and the coupling that leaves the box wobbling around. Here's the thread dealing with my NPT elements. I'm still having a little trouble getting this solution to work on my HLT.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/316...99/index3.html

ETA: Also, they're too long which is why I'm using the coupling.
__________________

Last edited by jsguitar; 12-19-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added thought
jsguitar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #1116
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Try going to Lowe's/Home Depot and picking up some washers or even a piece of Spa-Flex or other tubing that can take up the gap. That might allow the Kal method to work for you.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1117
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
LiquidFlame's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 369
Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Ah guess I did miss that

__________________
What's On Tap
What's in my beer cellar
Fermentation Chamber Build
LiquidFlame is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #1118
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Darkness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Turners, MO
Posts: 473
Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default

Ok I did it and it is great love this stuff man! They look great and it is super quick

ALSO THANKS EVERYONE WHO WENT BEFOR ME!!!!!

__________________

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Darkness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #1119
swstim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 2" triclover soldering

Hey guys, I learned how to do this somewhere in this thread but I don't know if anyone's made a concise post about it yet.

I was successful soldering in a 2" triclamp ferrule into the side of a keggle. I first drilled a 1 7/8" hole with a hole saw from the hardware store, and then flared it out with a custom tool I made on the lathe:
(It's a 15degree taper from 1.75" to 2.020")

I pulled that through with a 1/2-20 grade 8 bolt/nut with a 2" PVC coupler for the outside. Don't discount the importance of a) the fine thread bolt and b) the grade 8 hardware because it takes surprising force to make the dimple.

Once the dimple was formed I tapped in the 2" triclover nipple and soldered with stainless flux from McMaster and standard lead free solder from Menards:

I then used the element adapter kit from StillDragon to complete the install of your standard Camco element.

This approach makes it really easy to take the element out for cleaning, and also avoids the issue of threading an NPS element into a 1" NPT coupler.

I hope this helps someone out there!

__________________
swstim is offline
nebulous Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #1120
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstim View Post
Hey guys, I learned how to do this somewhere in this thread but I don't know if anyone's made a concise post about it yet.

I was successful soldering in a 2" triclamp ferrule into the side of a keggle. I first drilled a 1 7/8" hole with a hole saw from the hardware store, and then flared it out with a custom tool I made on the lathe:
(It's a 15degree taper from 1.75" to 2.020")

I pulled that through with a 1/2-20 grade 8 bolt/nut with a 2" PVC coupler for the outside. Don't discount the importance of a) the fine thread bolt and b) the grade 8 hardware because it takes surprising force to make the dimple.

Once the dimple was formed I tapped in the 2" triclover nipple and soldered with stainless flux from McMaster and standard lead free solder from Menards:

I then used the element adapter kit from StillDragon to complete the install of your standard Camco element.

This approach makes it really easy to take the element out for cleaning, and also avoids the issue of threading an NPS element into a 1" NPT coupler.

I hope this helps someone out there!
Very nice! I've been thinking of doing the very same thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless steel question baer19d DIY Projects 22 06-16-2011 05:05 AM
is there any way to tell if something is Stainless Steel Grinder12000 Equipment/Sanitation 25 05-12-2010 01:44 PM
Stainless Steel v. Aluminum DirtyJersey Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 03-23-2009 08:37 PM
Stainless Steel Disconnects shif7y Bottling/Kegging 0 05-26-2007 07:05 PM
hardened steel instead of stainless? photogscott Equipment/Sanitation 5 05-09-2007 07:03 AM