The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering copper w/o a propane torch.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
SwampassJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Soldering copper w/o a propane torch.

I'm trying to limit myself on buying items I will only use 2-3 times max so I have a simple question.

Could I just heat up the copper on my banjou and let solder just suck in on its own after removing from heat? Or is the pin point heat spot used to draw in the solder?

Any chance a 30watt iron would do any good on this?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 42 Posts

It would be possible to solder using the burner, just going to be challenging as you have to move piece into/out of flame to control heat and protect your self from the heat transfer. It would seem to be worth the effort to buy an inexpensive torch so you could do solder joints in position.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Broncobum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

because copper is such a good conductor of heat, the 30w iron would be useless. Possibly a 150-200w iron, but at that point a cheap torch is less $$.
If you ever buy a house more than 30-40 yrs old, the torch will come in handy to replace all the failed shutoff valves on your water pipes. I have been in my house less than three years, and have already replaced 6 bad shutoff valves with the 1/4 turn style.

Last edited by Broncobum; 06-13-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
I'm trying to limit myself on buying items I will only use 2-3 times max so I have a simple question.

Could I just heat up the copper on my banjou and let solder just suck in on its own after removing from heat? Or is the pin point heat spot used to draw in the solder?

Any chance a 30watt iron would do any good on this?
There is a very good chance that if you try to use your banjou burner to solder with you will burn yourself. Have you ever heard of the old expression, "the right tool for the right job"? In this case the phrase is more appropriate because you will be risking personal injury to save $20. Your question sounds extremely foolish to me.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
In this case the phrase is more appropriate because you will be risking personal injury to save $20.

I have to agree. I just finished soldering some copper tubing to make a whirlpool attachment to my IC to use with my March pump. I simply borrowed a torch from a friend (he also loves to drink my homebrew) and it was a piece of cake. I wouldn't risk jury rigging something when you can proabably borrow one from a friend/relative or buy one for $20.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Agree with pretty much what everyone else said. You don't however say what it is you are trying to solder. Also you can buy copper fittings with solder in place and those might actually work with your creatively dangerous method.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Stickshaker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
. Your question sounds extremely foolish to me.
The foolish guy wouldn't have asked first...

Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I have to disagree. I haven't done it myself, but heating the part in the banjo and then letting it wick into the hot joint should work well. I can't see how you'd get any more heat transfer than a torch. He wouldn't be putting the whole part into the flame, just the area to be soldered. The extra heat would only make the job go quicker. I say go for it.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

We have a forum full of people who transport near boiling pots full of sparge water to dump into a cooler but I'm foolish for wanting to use a propane burner to heat and solder copper. I have gloves that kept me safe in the flash over room, I'm pretty sure they won't be harmed by holding a warm copper pipe.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Jd,
Being able to solder copper plumbing is a good skill to have. I guarantee that you will use that torch a whole lot more than 2 to 3 times in your life time. Really is a good thing to have handy.

All that aside, you can get copper too hot to solder fairly easily of you've got enough BTUs kickin. A small propane torch will help you control the heat much better. Right tool for the job and all.

Wouldn't hurt to try than banjo I suppose.

Quick Reply