Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soda dispensing system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
giono2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Soda dispensing system

I need a little help from the brain trust on this one. I have purchased a carbonator pump system for soda serving and was struck with an idea. Would it be possible to connect the water out of the resivoir to a corny keg thereby having a complete 5 gallons of carbonated soda. Then hooking the rest of the system up as usual. I like this as it would let me keep the pump outside of my keezer and the cold keg inside. It also would eliminate the need for a cold plate, and still maintain instant carbonation. Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited by giono2; 09-16-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

pre-mix or post-mix system? i cant view the link at work (its blocked)

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Yes, it will work. I would start with a pre-carbonated keg of water, but this system will keep it full.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

sorry to threadjack, but david_42's post reminded me of a question I've always wondered about....

If I mix Coke syrup and water to the proper ratio and force carb, can I dispense soda out of my keezer setup?

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Most cornies were soda kegs before they were for beer. I keep a keg of soda water on tap (35 psi) and add concentrates by the glass.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
giono2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl300zx View Post
pre-mix or post-mix system? i cant view the link at work (its blocked)
It is post mix.

david_42 what about the pressures. The soda system runs the CO2 at 90-100 PSI. Any concerns there?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hi giono2,

I actually install soda fountain systems for a living for Pepsi. So here is my 2 cents.

You can make this work, here is how to set it up.

Make sure your your corny is completely empty of water!! Plumb everything in from your co2 to your carbonator, to the keg, to the faucet.

Once you have everything plumbed in, you need to turn on the co2 first, and bleed all of the ambient air out of the entire system...i.e.. the carbonator tank, and the corny keg. So bleed the co2 from the faucet for approx 2 minutes. This eliminates any pockets of air that get trapped in the tanks and degrade carbonation over time.

Your co2 pressure must be at least 20lbs greater than your water pressure or the carbonator will not work properly. So, if you have very high water pressure, you will need a water regulator. We run our co2 at 100 psi for the McCans Large body like you have and install a 50psi water regulator.

Once you bleed the co2, turn on your water, then plug in the carbonater and let it run. I will take forever to fill up the corny keg. It usually takes a little over a minute, just to fill the carbonator's tank, so you can imagine how long it will take to fill 5 gallons.

Let it run until the carbonator shuts off. Once it shuts off, you can open the faucet and bleed all the pressure off untill you get soda. Then it shoud run its self from that point.

One more thing. ONce the carbonator shuts off and you open the faucet, it is possible that the water will not be carbonated at that point. If a lot of water got into the tank before you plugged in the carbonator, it could be flat at first. Just keep running it. It will eventually come out carbonated.

Hope this helps. Any questions I can answer about soda systems....just let me know. I will try to help.

Jaybrinks

Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

You'll need to experiment with the serving line length or add some kind of restriction in the line. I use 20' with at 35 psi.

From what jaybrinks says, I think my idea of pre-carbonating the keg still holds. Running soda water until it's carbonated might be ok in a restaurant, but it would take a while at home.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is a nice idea, currently I just force carb water outside my kegorator while the corny inside dispenses for my soda system. Then I switch them out (and have a few hours downtime due to warm soda water).

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
giono2
Recipes 

I'm probably a month or so away from any results but I will be sure to let everybody know how it turns out. It should prove to be pretty exciting.

Quick Reply