Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > SmartKegerator - Automatic pour-logger using facial recognition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
philharlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default SmartKegerator - Automatic pour-logger using facial recognition

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just finished the first iteration on my smart kegerator project and wanted to share with anyone interested. There's no brewing, just serving. All the source is public and I will be writing a more detailed walkthrough soon!

Youtube walkthrough:

Project page:
http://philsprojects.wordpress.com/2014 ... kegerator/
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1226 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 1883

I love it. It is definitely not something I would use only because the people pouring beers in my house include me and me. Neighbors will come over from time to time but I often just serve them. I've yet to encounter a place where I wanted to monitor people. Now, measuring volume and perhaps cost, that would just be neat. I just feel as though I would ostracize people who I want to share my beer with by playing this game about monitoring consumption. Where I could see this working well is in a setting where you have a kegorator in a shared space.

Now, how much did you charge for that extra push of beer from the other tap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1034 Times on 839 Posts

That is very impressive work. Kudos!

Why the perceived need to add mass sensors? Are the flow meters not accurate enough?

I agree the "personal" accounting part would be overkill for my situation (there's just me, the wife, the kids when they are over, and occasional visitors - and nobody is "kicking the can" ) but the "beer" and kegerator accounting parts are definitely something I'm hoping to integrate into my dispensing system some day.

Cheers!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Very cool. Similar to a project we're working on.

Is this code truly released as Public Domain? I'm tempted to scour it for ideas, but don't want to step on toes.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

I really wanted to mention the C-word ("collaboration" ) but didn't want to step on anyone's toes, either...

Cheers!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #6
TonyG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Seems to me that this could work well for people with underage kids if the system can be setup to only work for authorized people. Might also work if you could input pictures of people that are off limits, or just provide photos of those who have pulled the tap.

Ignore this comment if already implemented.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

^ Brilliant - but at least right now, apparently out-of-scope. That would require solenoid valves on the beer lines...

Cheers!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
philharlow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@Hello haha yes, it would certainly be most useful when put in a public space. The end goal is to be able to leave the kegerator in the kitchen or garage unattended, and everyone can pour as much as they'd like. haha this was actually my first pour after refilling both kegs, and I hadn't had a second beer on tap for a couple months, so you got to watch me find out that the tap handles are too close I had actually put a check for that in the code and you can can see the display change to "Uh-oh! Both beers detected!" right after the accidental pour
@day_trippr I originally wanted weight sensors to give me a better estimation of keg volume in situations where the system goes down for awhile (crash, power outage, etc) and also if I installed a half full keg, without needing to enter some guesstimated starting volume, if that makes sense. After using the system for a bit, I do think the flow meters will be accurate enough (even though they have a 5-10% tolerance) but I'd still like to weigh the co2 tank to get any idea if that's running low
@thadius856 the source is all public and the link is in the blog post Feel free to browse/copy/hack. I'll be writing up more on the hardware installation details later, but it should be pretty straightforward.
@TonyG adding some type of flow valve into the lines is the most common suggestion/idea I get. My goal was to create an entirely passive system, ie requiring no human input, and didn't want a situation like a software bug or power outage to prevent beer from flowing, so I shied away from that idea. I do log the pictures snapped while pouring, so you could review the pours and look for youngsters, but if you did want to install valves, a system like RFID cards would probably be best as a picture of a parent's face would be enough to trick this extremely cheap facial recognition algorithm (the pi isn't very powerful!)

Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I want to build this! My beer goes soo fast and I know I dont drink a large majority of it. I need some leverage against my roomates.lol

Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
kerber
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Pretty rad! I just saw your project over on Hackaday earlier today. I'm not sure how much you've looked into mass sensors, but there are some inherent issues with them - there's a few threads floating around here that get into it. Love the ingenuity!

Builds:

Quick Reply