The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Smaller Son of Fermentation Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
steelerguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smaller Son of Fermentation Chiller

As summer came on my basement was getting too hot to control fermentation temps. I had to go from warming my carboys up to needing to chill them, it was time to build something! I originally was going to fashion something with an old dorm refrigerator I had, but having to operate it without the door and trying to come up with something to seal decently but allow easy access seemed a bit difficult. I found the plans for the Son of Fermenation Chiller and decided that was the way to go.

I went to Home Depot and Lowes and neither had the 96" x 48" x 2" sheets. In fact the closest I could come was 96" x 24" x 1.5" and it was the tongue in groove type. I bought a couple sheets and some liquid nails to glue them together. Once I did this I measured and realized that once I cut the extra tongue material off each end I would be left with a 96" x 44" x 1.5" sheet. This completely threw off the measurements in the construction directions since both the width and thickness were different.

I sketched up some plans, but was afraid I was going to miss something and because I was cutting the dimensions so close I wanted a proof of concept. So in came Google SketchUp. Really cool program and pretty easy to learn, I put it all in there and came up with some plans and it all worked like a charm. I figured I would share the plans in case anyone else gets stuck in the same situation as me and needs to use the narrower and thinner insulation from HD.

Sheet with cutting lines and dimensions:

Put together in SketchUP: (carboy width and height matches 6.5 gallon)

Chiller in basement keeping a carboy cool:

Pale Ale fermenting at 67 degrees:

I didn't put in the fan and intake squares I cut out in the main sheet since someone may want to use a different size fan. I also cut some quarter round with some foam insulation as per the original directions but modified for my new dimensions. I caulked the seems (ran out and used liquid glue to make that nasty streak on the middle partition.

Hopefully these plans can help someone else out there! I have been very pleased with it's operation and the back can still hold 4 1-gallon milk jugs (Although I don't like to stack them so I only use 2, plus 2 liter bottles are better and last longer) If anyone wants the SketchUp files just let shoot me a PM.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice Job.

Published

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Denvel
Recipes 

what keeps it cool?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
netjunk1e
Recipes 

You put froozen water bottles in the back compartment, the fan blows cold air into the front compartment containing the carboy. The fan is controlled by a thermostat.

I built one, custom design, same concept. It works really well, mine has a few air leaks so it goes through ice very fast, but once i seal those up i should get at least a day with my small water bottles.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Denvel
Recipes 

nice. I am cranking up my tools now.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

what kind of thermostat do you use? I was thinking about using an old school mercury filled thermostat like a home heating system. I assume I will need to calobrate it using a thermometer, but that is easy enough. (I need to do this on the cheap) I have access to computer fans, and several 5-12v power suplies from old cell phones and other electronics.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
illnastyimpreza
Recipes 

this is a good Idea. I have a nice spot in my food closet that I would like to ferment in. I could line the area with the plink pad insulation. I also have a couple mini fridges I would like to GUT and steal the cooling system from. I could then run the cooling lines throughout the fermentor chamber. All I would need to do is rig up a temp controll unit...

hhmm yes this sounds like what I would want to do

Primary 1: Homemade Cider
Primary 2: IPA
primary 3: empty
primary 4:empty
Kegerator: empty
bottled: Never again... I hate bottling

Primary stirrer and yeast pitcher: my Girlfriend :)

Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
netjunk1e
Recipes 

For a thermostat, I used a battery operated electronic one. It does not have a LCD display or anything, but is driven by electronics. What is nice about this is it was the cheapest at Home Depot, and you can unsolder the thermistor and tape it onto the carboy so that you are actually controlling the fermentation temperature, not the air temperature.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Cool, man! I like the single-size version...

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
chirs
Recipes 

What did the electronics and material run you on this? I have an extra fridge and am wondering if one of those $60 temperature control units from morebeer is more economical.

_______
kegged: Anchor Steam
primary: Mead

Add your water quality report to the Water Quality/Chemistry thread.

Quick Reply