*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single-tier propane/electric HERMS/RIMS rig?!!!??!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Well, I tried.

I have already told you that I will NOT find one of them completely unnecessary. I wouldn't build the thing if that was even remotely possible.
Actually, you never said you wouldn't find one unnecessary. You just said you decided to build a stand with both. And it's not only possible - it's highly probable.

Well, I tried, too. I don't think I'll bother returning to monitor your "department of redundancy department" rig build, so no further illumination is required. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #22
Cyan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
Actually, you never said you wouldn't find one unnecessary. You just said you decided to build a stand with both. And it's not only possible - it's highly probable.
"My listed features are essential."

Obviously, that quote of mine right there means I would not find one (HERMS or RIMS) unnecessary, so pretty much yes I did say that.

Please try reading my posts before responding to them so that you do not appear so discombobulated.

Quote:
Well, I tried, too. I don't think I'll bother returning to monitor your "department of redundancy department" rig build, so no further illumination is required. Good luck.
Great name for the brewstand because I'll have a great story behind it.

I appreciate all the great input and advice you brought to my thread.

Buh-bye.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #23
dkubala
Recipes 

Just curious where you got your ASCO EF8210G087V valves and how much you had to give for them. I read the article as well and was looking to get the valves with the FKM seals but am having trouble locating anything but the Buna N type seals...

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #24
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wow... Lil' Sparky you are a mean Badger today huh? To completely crush the sceptics. I brewed with a RIMS/HERMS system for over a year and love it. I am building into my current builds as well (DITCHES and 2P-Twent-E) because it is so nice to use.

They are not redundant at all. They provide distinct advantages and disadvantages that can be utilized to make brewing any particular beer easier. For example, I use HERMS for a single temperature mash because it gently heats and maintains an extremely constant temp. I use RIMS for step mashes or any multi-temp schedules including ramps or whatever the hell I can dream up.

I don't know what happened to this board over the last year. People are just such dicks to anyone with a new idea... it is really sad.

Cyan, I hope you stick around and show us your sweet build.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkubala View Post
Just curious where you got your ASCO EF8210G087V valves and how much you had to give for them. I read the article as well and was looking to get the valves with the FKM seals but am having trouble locating anything but the Buna N type seals...

Thanks
You're gonna hate me for saying this, but I got the EF8210G087V off ebay for $20. I got the EF8210G087 from a different seller for $40. You can find solenoid valves for much cheaper from valves4projects on eBay. I believe those also have the seals you're looking for. Found that info from this thread: <http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/asco-valve-substitutions-154380/>. Please let me know how it works out! Thanks!

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
onelegout
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Looking forward to seeing pics of this : )
Good luck!

Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde 4% APA
Kegerator: Henry's Haus Pale Ale 4.5% PA
Bottled: 'Wooly Jumper' 5.08%ABV Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: 'Weissbeater' 5.2%ABV Weiss
Bottled: 'Maypole' 4.5%ABV Dark Ale

Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #27
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

+1 to watching eBay for the Asco valves. Got mine there for around $20... but you need to be a little patient. I got the 8215G020 though.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Resurrection!

Cyan, any updates on this my man? I'm planning to at least have the hybrid propane/electric system with most of the features you listed (especially whirlpool ports)

Quick Reply