Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single Tier Brutus Clone.....Another One!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
To the OP: Great build and I don't mean to thread jack but I'm a bit concerned about carlisle bobs comment and my own stand.

Any idea what could happen if there isn't enough vertical space? My stand was built to support my current kettle sizes and larger kettle sizes in case I upgrade in the future. The corner posts are designed to accomodate larger kettles that I don't have at this time. If I did have larger kettles, those corner posts would give me vertical space. Currently my kettles sit flat on my stand and while the HLT and MLT are not quite big enough to cover the entire area, the BK is pretty close. Should I worry? I'll post some pics.......

P.S. I know I need to add 3 piece ball valves to the flow out side of my pumps and am in the process of doing so
Hi

You don't want to have a "buffer" of dead air between the bottom of the pot and the burner. The burners run quite a bit of air, so you need some room for it to exhaust. Watch the air currents when the burner is on high. It should be pretty apparent where stuff is going.

Bob

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
koopa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

You don't want to have a "buffer" of dead air between the bottom of the pot and the burner. The burners run quite a bit of air, so you need some room for it to exhaust. Watch the air currents when the burner is on high. It should be pretty apparent where stuff is going.

Bob

Bob
Thanks Bob. The problem is that (with my 20 gallon kettle) I can't even see the flame with the kettle on the stand. What I was already thinking of doing (to make lighting the burner easier) is drilling one or two 1/2" holes in the wind shield. Hopefully these holes would allow me to light the burner from the side instead of the bottom, see the flame, and allow for some exhaust. Do you think that would help?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally got the control panel started! The wiring is little intimidating, but hopefully I can get started in the next couple days. Does anyone by chance have a wiring diagram for a similar setup? I can't seem to find one..

image-4154935568.jpg   image-126558122.jpg   image-1411275555.jpg   image-561465185.jpg  

Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

as far as the burner to pot height goes, you need some room for the exhaust to go but you will be able to tell pretty quick if your burner is starving for air. with the pot in place and ready to fire, your burner should be pretty much the same as when your pot is removed (the look of the flame) I had to add some space under my kegs to let it breath a little more, lowering my burner didn't seem to work, I am guessing it was exhausting the gasses that was the issue. It's not all that hard to dial in, if it's a problem you will know, it will be one of those "somethings not right" thoughts when you fire it up.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
koopa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoob View Post
as far as the burner to pot height goes, you need some room for the exhaust to go but you will be able to tell pretty quick if your burner is starving for air. with the pot in place and ready to fire, your burner should be pretty much the same as when your pot is removed (the look of the flame) I had to add some space under my kegs to let it breath a little more, lowering my burner didn't seem to work, I am guessing it was exhausting the gasses that was the issue. It's not all that hard to dial in, if it's a problem you will know, it will be one of those "somethings not right" thoughts when you fire it up.
Thanks. My first batch on the system didn't seem to have any problems. Boil kettle got everything up to a boil very quickly and with the ball valve for the gas opened ever so slightly. I'll have to wait until I taste the final product to make sure the burners aren't too high / risk scorching the wort and creating maillard reactions. If I don't need to drill holes in the windscreens, I'd rather not as they will do a better job blocking the wind without them. The flame looks fine without the kettle on. Burns a nice blue color as its getting the right amount of oxygen from the air intake. I would assume that if the gas really can't exhaust upward, it would exhaust downward, no?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #26
koopa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmidtyBeer View Post
Finally got the control panel started! The wiring is little intimidating, but hopefully I can get started in the next couple days. Does anyone by chance have a wiring diagram for a similar setup? I can't seem to find one..
That set up looks fantastic!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
cravej
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
Thanks. My first batch on the system didn't seem to have any problems. Boil kettle got everything up to a boil very quickly and with the ball valve for the gas opened ever so slightly. I'll have to wait until I taste the final product to make sure the burners aren't too high / risk scorching the wort and creating maillard reactions. If I don't need to drill holes in the windscreens, I'd rather not as they will do a better job blocking the wind without them. The flame looks fine without the kettle on. Burns a nice blue color as its getting the right amount of oxygen from the air intake. I would assume that if the gas really can't exhaust upward, it would exhaust downward, no?
If there isn't sufficient exhaust space, then the burners just won't run efficiently. On your stand there is a gap between the top of the heatshield and the frame, that is where the exhaust is venting. There may be plenty of space already, but it is more likely to affect how much propane you use, not the taste of the final product.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #28
koopa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravej View Post
If there isn't sufficient exhaust space, then the burners just won't run efficiently. On your stand there is a gap between the top of the heatshield and the frame, that is where the exhaust is venting. There may be plenty of space already, but it is more likely to affect how much propane you use, not the taste of the final product.
Makes sense. I brewed my second batch on the system this weekend and also ran a test which made me realize I'm definitely having exhaust problems. When I started my batch, I split my strike water between my HLT and my BK then heated up both. The HLT got to 180F in the same time the BK got to only 150F. I also went through almost an entire propane tank in 2 batches which is twice as much propane as I used to use on my old setup. Looks like I'll either have to drill some 1/2" holes in the windscreen for exhaust / visibility / ease of lighting, or I'll have to find some way to modify the stand and boost the kettles up.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #29
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is my solution to the exhaust gas problem, I just welded on some 1/2" barstock to provide some space and lift the kettle up some. But....my stand is still in progress and I have yet to do a test fire with kettles, so take my advice with a grain of salt. This seems to have worked for others though

forumrunner_20120806_203803.jpg   forumrunner_20120806_203851.jpg  

Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #30
Hellfire_studios
Recipes 

Where did you buy your switches? Also could you run through the functionality of all the items on your control panel? Just curious. Great build!!!

Quick Reply