The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single Tier Brutus Clone.....Another One!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmidtyBeer View Post
My stepfather and I did all the welding and it s 2x2 stainless. There are a couple things already I wish we would have done different, but it's all a learning experience. Can I just rotate the heads our does the whole thing need to be rotated?

What kind of burners do you have? The burners here are lp hurricanes, and the burner orifice I bought from Williams brewing, the rest of the parts were from lowes. I plan on swapping out a few of the connections soon. As far as the pilot tubes, all of that was purchased from pex supply.
2 - 1/4"x5' pilot burner tubing w/ fittings. sku11-293
2 - 24" thermocouple sku q390a1046
You can just rotate the heads and not have to worry about remounting the motor.

My burners currently are the Blichmann floor standing burners, but the burners inside of them are pretty much identical to what you have there. I have NG orifices on everything currently.
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep those burners for my build, or pick something else up. I do like them, but I'd hate to see all that pretty stainless not be used!

I don't know how I missed the pilot burner tubing at pexsupply. Looks like I get to pay extra shipping on that. Thanks for the part number though I appreciate that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ran into the same problem with fittings at lowes when I was plumbing my stand. I swear I think they don't stock certain fittings intentionally so that you have to use two or three where one would have worked. It's maddening. Your stand looks great. Very clean looking burner mount. Looking forward to watching your progress

Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
I ran into the same problem with fittings at lowes when I was plumbing my stand. I swear I think they don't stock certain fittings intentionally so that you have to use two or three where one would have worked. It's maddening. Your stand looks great. Very clean looking burner mount. Looking forward to watching your progress
Hi

No matter how many things they stocked, there would still be some gaps. That said, there are still "real" plumbing supply stores around. There are also a number of places on the internet that do indeed stock just about everything.

Bob

Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob

Hi

No matter how many things they stocked, there would still be some gaps. That said, there are still "real" plumbing supply stores around. There are also a number of places on the internet that do indeed stock just about everything.

Bob
Point taken bob,

But...there are no plumbing supply stores in my town because lowe's put them out of business, and buying from them is more convenient than ordering online and waiting a week.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
9Frogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I love the fact this is in your living room for the pics. Good job!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her" WC Fields

Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #16
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have started to tackle the electrical side of the build. I made the temp probes a few days back (PITA...for me at least. Those connections are tiny!). Today I added another couple feet to the pump cords and replaced the plugs with NEMA L5-15 twist lock electrical plug, and wrapped the cords in techflex ( http://theelectricbrewery.com/pumps?page=3). I also rotated the heads of the pumps. I was hoping to get started on the control panel today, but my packages never showed up. Once the switches and what not start to show up I will start the control panel.

l1000158.jpg   l1000159.jpg   l1000160.jpg   l1000157.jpg  

Old 07-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #17
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for the burner connections? I looked online for a solution but came up empty handed. If I found a 3/8 Flared female to 1/2" flared male I could get rid of all of those ridiculous fittings...I am not apposed to getting rid of the yellow flex line either.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #18
koopa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To the OP: Great build and I don't mean to thread jack but I'm a bit concerned about carlisle bobs comment and my own stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

When you do the supports for the pots, make sure to leave enough vertical space to allow exhaust gas flow.

Bob
Any idea what could happen if there isn't enough vertical space? My stand was built to support my current kettle sizes and larger kettle sizes in case I upgrade in the future. The corner posts are designed to accomodate larger kettles that I don't have at this time. If I did have larger kettles, those corner posts would give me vertical space. Currently my kettles sit flat on my stand and while the HLT and MLT are not quite big enough to cover the entire area, the BK is pretty close. Should I worry? I'll post some pics.......

P.S. I know I need to add 3 piece ball valves to the flow out side of my pumps and am in the process of doing so
single-tier-brewing-stand-015.jpg   single-tier-brewing-stand-003.jpg  

Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
SchmidtyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As long as your burners are not being smothered, then you should be fine ( somebody correct me if I am wrong). The stand looks great!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmidtyBeer View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for the burner connections? I looked online for a solution but came up empty handed. If I found a 3/8 Flared female to 1/2" flared male I could get rid of all of those ridiculous fittings...I am not apposed to getting rid of the yellow flex line either.
Once you have your burner height locked down where you want to keep it, just use some 1/2"OD soft copper and the appropriate flare nuts. You'll need a flare tool also, but those are relatively cheap. looks much cleaner than the flex line. The only downside though is that once you do it, it makes adjusting your burner height more work.

Quick Reply