New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single tier brewstand questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Default Single tier brewstand questions

OK I have been reading around and I have decided I want to work towards building a single tier brewstand. I am going to make the stand using the "weldless" design. I will use 3 sanke kegs as the brewpot, mash tun, and water tank. Propane burners and one or two pumps whatever is needed for the simplest system. I know the automated one with all the electric temperature controllers are beyond me.

What I need to know is like a detailed description and diagram of how the plumbing should go, the wiring etc. And a list of what other parts I need besides the stand, kegs, burners. I am going to start acquiring the parts after xmas so I want to work on getting my parts lists together.

I could actually ask for some of the stuff needed for xmas from the gf and family.

I have tried searching but there is so much info and so many ways of doing it it's very confusing and daunting to figure it out.

What I want is the simplest sytem that will use pump (s) to move everything from one vessel to the next and through a chill plate and into the fermenter.

Thanks guys for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
dedhedjed
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a very simple single tier (at this point) using one pump, two keggles and a 10gallon drink cooler MLT...One pump is totally do-able if you batch sparge. It has been a good way for me to get the feel of my single tier without dropping too much cash initially. Eventually I'll go with three keggles, but for now I'm making some great beer and no longer lifting and pouring near boiling liquid.

Homebrew shirts, stickers, mugs, etc.
http://www.zazzle.com/mightbemary*

Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
akthor
Recipes 

Can you show me pictures or diagrams or a link to the thread of you building it if you have one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhedjed View Post
I have a very simple single tier (at this point) using one pump, two keggles and a 10gallon drink cooler MLT...One pump is totally do-able if you batch sparge. It has been a good way for me to get the feel of my single tier without dropping too much cash initially. Eventually I'll go with three keggles, but for now I'm making some great beer and no longer lifting and pouring near boiling liquid.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
akthor
Recipes 

So parts: I have come up with a partial list:

Brew stand itself parts
3 sanke kegs

Now on a single tier on keg is to boil the water for the mash tun right? One is the mash tun and one is the brewpot right?

So to for the kegs I need 3 thermometers, 3 ball valves and how many sight glasses do I need, one for each or just one for the Mash tun and the brew pot?

for the mash tun I need a false bottom or the stainless braid, which is better?

For the brew pot I need a dip tube right? Which kind?

Also what is better weldless or welded fittings?

Anything else I need for the kegs?

Then I need three burners.

How many pumps do I need one or two? which is better?

Then it's the plumbing for the gas and the wiring for the pumps and the plumbing for the kegs. Did I miss anything?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
dedhedjed
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I actually bought mine from a guy here in TN that built a couple extra when he built his...here's his build thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brewing-rig-150688/

Mine is identical to his including a single pump and cooler MLT.

Homebrew shirts, stickers, mugs, etc.
http://www.zazzle.com/mightbemary*

Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
So parts: I have come up with a partial list:

Brew stand itself parts
3 sanke kegs

Now on a single tier on keg is to boil the water for the mash tun right? One is the mash tun and one is the brewpot right?
correct.

So to for the kegs I need 3 thermometers, 3 ball valves and how many sight glasses do I need, one for each or just one for the Mash tun and the brew pot?
You'll want a sight glass on the HLT above all

for the mash tun I need a false bottom or the stainless braid, which is better?
This is debatable. I prefer a full size false bottom such as this one:
http://climaxhomebrew.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&product s_id=2&zenid=1cr7dj9gmng7s340vfid5bn6h5

For the brew pot I need a dip tube right? Which kind?
All three vessels should have dip tubes, unless you want to deal with the dead space.

Also what is better weldless or welded fittings?
Again, debatable. I use a combination. Welded, where I make and break connections, and weldless for everything else.

Anything else I need for the kegs?

Then I need three burners.

How many pumps do I need one or two? which is better?
Start with one, you can batch sparge just fine, and can always upgrade. Just my 0.02.

Then it's the plumbing for the gas and the wiring for the pumps and the plumbing for the kegs. Did I miss anything?
You're gonna have to research these ones on your own. There is a ton of info here to steer you in the right direction.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
akthor
Recipes 

Very helpful stuff guys!

HLT = hot liquor tank I think is that another name for the mash tun?

"All three vessels should have dip tubes, unless you want to deal with the dead space."

Can you explain this??? I guess I am unsure what dip tube does???

"Again, debatable. I use a combination. Welded, where I make and break connections, and weldless for everything else."

Which ones do you feel should be welded? I will have to check my area and see if I have someone who can weld and how much it costs.

"Start with one, you can batch sparge just fine, and can always upgrade. Just my 0.02."

Can you explain how the one pump would work with batch sparging and moving the liquid from each tank?

This guy is selling brew stands for $275 I could get this "electric stand" delivered and modify it for my needs since I have no way of welding up one of these up myself and I think the cost wouldn't be much greater than all the parts for the no weld stand. Good idea?

http://brewersequipment.com/electric_brew_stand_special.html

Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
tasq
Recipes 

Quote:
Very helpful stuff guys!

HLT = hot liquor tank I think is that another name for the mash tun?

No. The HLT is the 3rd keg for heating strike / sparge water.

"All three vessels should have dip tubes, unless you want to deal with the dead space."

Can you explain this??? I guess I am unsure what dip tube does???
A dip tube connects to the ball valve. It allows the kettle to grain fully.
See: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_35_46&product_id=94

"Again, debatable. I use a combination. Welded, where I make and break connections, and weldless for everything else."

Which ones do you feel should be welded? I will have to check my area and see if I have someone who can weld and how much it costs.
I have my ball valves and recirculation ports welded. Many folks use all weldless with good results. Expect to pay $20 - $50 per weld for good TIG work.

"Start with one, you can batch sparge just fine, and can always upgrade. Just my 0.02."

Can you explain how the one pump would work with batch sparging and moving the liquid from each tank?
It does just that... move the wort from tank to tank. With fly sparging, you'd have one pump moving fluid from the HLT to Mash Tun, and one moving the wort from the Mash Tun to the Boil Kettle. There is no need to run more than one pump with batch sparging.

This guy is selling brew stands for $275 I could get this "electric stand" delivered and modify it for my needs since I have no way of welding up one of these up myself and I think the cost wouldn't be much greater than all the parts for the no weld stand. Good idea?
Interesting approach, but I bet if you tally up the final cost it'll be the same or more than just buying one of the gas stands. Pinup offers them for around $500 to your door.

http://brewersequipment.com/electric_brew_stand_special.html
10 chars.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
akthor
Recipes 

Its called a hot liquor tank but its just got water in it right?

So you use one pump and just disconnect and reconnect the in and out hoses to the different tanks to direct it? I assume this is why folks use quick disconnects. Can you recommend which ones and where to get them?

$20 - $50 per weld? Holy crap guess I will be going weldless unless I can find someone cheap.

I know a guy in VT he's a good friend he's a steel worker by trade and that's all he does is weld. I think I remember him saying he had various welders in his home shop. I wonder if it might be worth it to buy all my parts and make the 6hr drive to his house. He would weld everything I needed for beer.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
tasq
Recipes 

Quote:
Its called a hot liquor tank but its just got water in it right?
Yep!

So you use one pump and just disconnect and reconnect the in and out hoses to the different tanks to direct it? I assume this is why folks use quick disconnects. Can you recommend which ones and where to get them?
Right again. I use camlocks from barginfittings.com

$20 - $50 per weld? Holy crap guess I will be going weldless unless I can find someone cheap.

I know a guy in VT he's a good friend he's a steel worker by trade and that's all he does is weld. I think I remember him saying he had various welders in his home shop. I wonder if it might be worth it to buy all my parts and make the 6hr drive to his house. He would weld everything I needed for beer.
Make damn sure he knows how to TIG stainless. I learned the hard way that cheap / free isn't always the best option. ( I ruined 3 kegs before paying a professional. )
10 char.

Quick Reply