Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single tier brewstand design and build (stores keggles inside)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
zarthsan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Single tier brewstand design and build (stores keggles inside)

Hey everyone! So, I've recently started building out my new brewstand to replace my ancient, fantastically ghetto 2-tier I've been brewing on for the last long while. I plan on documenting the process here, as well as highlighting a few of my thoughts along the way!

The reason why I'm trying something new:

So, for starters, with this stand I first identified a handful of elements I wanted to incorporate for v2:

1. I'm 6'5" tall, and thus, can work fairly high up
  2. Optimized for keggles
  3. I want the keggles to be stored inside the stand itself
  4. The stand should convert into a work-bench when it's not used for brewing
  5. I want the heat to be able to escape out the back easily so my valves don't go nuclear.
  6. Easily movable, without a gigantic foot-print
  7. Adjustable height burners
  8. Super sturdy

So, with these considerations in mind, I began the hunt for the perfect brewstand build around the forums. But, of course, I never found it. So, I decided to try and design my own.

Oh, and first, another list of important factors to consider:
  1. I have no idea how to weld, but, might as well learn sometime
  2. I have a bunch of wood-working tools, and am generally capable of finding a half-assed solution to most engineering problems
  3. I've never used SketchUp or other rendering software before

Phase 1 : "Holy crap SketchUp is a PITA"

Given my obsessive nature, before I bought any materials at all, I wanted a 100% guarantee that I was doing the right thing. So, as part of the planning phase, I promised myself that I'd come away with a single cut-list (for the metal shop) that would absolutely give me the final materials I needed to complete the project.

I took probably 3 stabs at drawing the thing on paper, but every time I'd think of a small tweak, I'd have to redesign the entire project, and I was also having a hard time redoing the cut calculations after every change. So, I decided to try out SketchUp.

2 weeks later, I can finally use SketchUp pretty effectively, and had finalized my designs as seen below.

At this point, I'm happy with the general design, although there are two things I don't know how I'll deal with: The gussets, and how in the hell I'll mount the burners. I figured I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Materials summary so far:
  • 1.5"x1.5" by 1/8" thick steel tubing for the core frame itself
  • 1/8" inch diamond plate for the bottom

Phase 2 : "Getting ready"

For me, buying metal was a seriously intimidating process. After the lumber-yard experiences of my youth, I figured everyone would be an unhelpful asshole - totally not so. I found the Metal Supermarket and these guys were awesome. They can also do machine-measured non-mitered cuts (they did all of mine for $30 total). So, I took my cut list, and 1 hour later, I had all my stock (plus some cut-offs to practice on).

The next big challenge was learning how to weld on a super cheap Harbor Freight 90 amp flux-core welder. With all the complaining everyone did about how cheap it was I expected the worst, but honestly, I'm happy with my results thus far.

So, after tons of Youtube I took my first stabs at figuring out how to lay down a bead on my test metal. It took me a few hours (and the entire spool of garbage flux-wire that comes with the welder), but I managed to get a pretty solid hang on it! My welds were penetrating all the way through (which I checked by cutting the metal on my miter-saw-equipped-with-an-abrasive-blade), and while they weren't pretty, they were pretty strong.

Phase 3 : "Making the frame"

At this point, I was ready to begin the process of tacking and welding the square bottom portion of my design.

As you may notice above, my initial tacks were super weak due to the long stick-out I had at first. I learned that lesson pretty quickly. I also made sure to alternate welds to opposite sides of the frame in order to keep it square (something that worked super well, as my final frame was almost perfectly square).

After making the bottom square, the next step was welding the vertical legs to each corner. And then, after that, to weld the horisontal cross-beams.

The next step was to bring the front and back sides together, and thus, secure the overal squareness of the entire structure.

And the final part of the frame was to weld on each of the top supports, which I did by using 90-degree magnets.

Phase 4 : "Mounting the burners"

So, per my requirements, I needed a simple means of mounting my burners in a way that was adjustable. After a bit of pondering, I decided that a single large rectangular structure that supported the burners by pinching them in place was the right approach. So, I took some measurements, and headed back to the Metal Supermarket to buy some 1.5"x1.5" by 1/8" thick angle iron.

Below is the result of my frame welds.

I then went to Home Depot, picked up a piece of pre-drilled steel, a couple metal pull-pins, and affixed the system to the main frame. To be honest, this worked better than I even anticipated. The burners are super secure, they are easy to move, and generally awesome.

So, this is where I'm at currently. The next steps will be to attach the gussets (to support the keggles sitting on top), and then to make some decisions on how I'll mount the gas lines and pumps. Of course, I also need to mount the casters, then clean off the oil and paint the thing. There is still a lot of work to be done, but I'm super excited to get it there!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
zarthsan
Recipes 

<holding for future>

Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 193

What I realy like about this is you can slide the burner. Also as a heating guy the burner mount is like a furnace burner locking into place. This is a nice brew stand, good work man!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

nice work, i need to learn how to weld

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 02-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
hs1149
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love the adjustable burners. I am adding that to my rig project. Storing the keggles in the rig is a great idea, but at my weight (5"8") I would need a ladder to get a peek.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Zandrello
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This is awesome dude. Very nice work. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Please post more pics with your progression!

Bottled: Soon to be Buffalo Sweat
Upcoming brews: Another Summer Ale of some sort, maybe another lighter IPA?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
zarthsan
Recipes 

Next steps of the build are complete - the gussets are attached and stable.

Given the fact that the back rail of my stand is lower than the front (to help facilitate heat venting out the back), I wanted to make sure that my gussets didn't hamper the flow of warm air out the back. So, I did this:

For the first few welds, I was having a hell of a time holding the bars in place - so instead of using clamps, I pulled a handful of my disk magnets off the kegerator. This turned out to be a huge success, and to make my life way easier.

So, at this point, the gussets and frame are done, along with the burner mounting system. Next up: Getting the gas lines rigged and mounted, as well as getting the diamond-plate for the bottom table.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Zarthsan...that looks really great. I'm about to start on my own build in the next few weeks. You've hit on a number of points I had in mind plus some excellent ones I hadn't thought of.

I'm 6'2". Not quite as tall as you. A 20" tall stand wouldn't be worth building.

Would you mind sharing your SketchUp drawing for the dimensions, please?

Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
zarthsan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianw58 View Post
Zarthsan...that looks really great. I'm about to start on my own build in the next few weeks. You've hit on a number of points I had in mind plus some excellent ones I hadn't thought of. Would you mind sharing your SketchUp drawing for the dies pensions, please?
No problem! Here is a link:

Sculpture

Side notes: There are a handful of things which I don't have in my rendering, such as the burner mounts, and the gussets. So, here are the dimensions (which I'll eventually add back to the rendering after I have everything done updated below).

Update: Newest version of SketchUp file is now uploaded with burner mounts and gussets

Burner mount (1.5" x 1.5" by 1/8" thick angle iron)
11" x 2
66" x 2
7" x2 of 1/8" thick pre-drilled steel from Lowes (optional, for adjustments)

Gussets (1.5" x 1/8" thick bar)
9" x 2 (the corners)
12.5" x 2 (the lengths)

Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Hmmm. Getting a 404 message from that link...

Quick Reply