Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single tier brew system how many pumps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Single tier brew system how many pumps?

I am currently in the process of building my single tier brew system. I have a question about the pumps though. Today I just ordered one march pump. Is this enough for the sytem?

What Im thinking of doing as suggested by some on here is to use quick disconnects on all my connection points. This should let me use the same pump for everything as long as I move around my plumbing tubes depending on what step of the process im in.

Can this be done with one pump and am I missing anything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
xxdcmast
Recipes 

Here is a quick drawing of my idea.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
wehumble
Time to brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your sparge drawings are showing a MLT recirculation (to avoid scorching, I guess). First and second sparge should have HLT into the pump and MLT out. I assume this is for batch sparging?

If you only want to use one pump, consider elevating the HLT. With a good sight glass, fill valve, and thermometer built it's no biggie having the HLT raised. That was my solution, anyway.

Now with 95% less signature!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

If you are batch sparging, then you can use ONE pump on a single tier. Since you are not flowing from the HLT and the MLT at the same time... you can use the pump to transfer sparge water to the MLT, then use it to lauter and send wort from the MLT to the BK...

One pump is easy with a single tier with batch sparge, get a few QDs and you are all set.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I was just thinking the same thing, Pol. Great minds and all that...

If you're fly sparging, you definitely need two pumps on a single-tier: one to push the sparge liquor from HLT to mash tun, one to pull the sweet wort from mash tun to kettle.

I'd advise two pumps, anyway; you can have one running the vorlauf while the other recirculates the sparge liquor, f'rinstance (you mean you're not recirculating your liquor? Shame!). You can have one forcing ice water through a secondary chiller while the other whirlpools the bitter wort after the boil.

Two pumps really opens up a crapton of options!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
CenCalWorthog
Recipes 

Best pump(s) to use/buy? Recommendation?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

March 809HS pumps are the ones most often used. You can buy much more expensive pumps, but for their price the March pumps are the best. I've tried 2 other pumps and if I had to do it over I'd get the March.

I have a single tier and use 1 pump and it works great. I don't have any need for a second pump, just something else to clean at the end of the day.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
CenCalWorthog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
March 809HS pumps are the ones most often used. You can buy much more expensive pumps, but for their price the March pumps are the best. I've tried 2 other pumps and if I had to do it over I'd get the March.

I have a single tier and use 1 pump and it works great. I don't have any need for a second pump, just something else to clean at the end of the day.
Thank you Conpewter, good info.

Last edited by CenCalWorthog; 06-02-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 97

If you don't mind being limited to batch sparging, than 1 pump will work killer. I would pose the question… why single tier if you want to limit yourself?. Raise the HLT and gravity feed the liquor into the system, your options are limitless. Orfy started a thread on my system some time ago http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/jaybird-brewery-38923/ I like to use gravity where I can. I use 1 pump and still can "batch" or "fly" sparge. I can also have 2 batches going at the same time, to speed up those long 24 gallon brew days. Just a thought. Why limit yourself when brewing is such a limitless hobby.

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree there are advantages to going 2 tier with the HLT higher. I like my single teir because I can still look in to and clean the HLT when it needs it. It obviously does not get too dirty but I wipe it out before each brew, I get some salt deposits in it from my hard water.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply