Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Single Tier Brew Stand Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm looking for some input on mounting of the burners and venting of burner exhaust. I'll be using flat bottom kettles. I've seen a few different configurations for wind / heat shield mounting and kettle support. I've shown two different versions in the attached image.

The one on the left has the wind shield / burner mount located lower and has the shield mounted on bent brackets.

The one on the right has the wind shield / burner mount located higher and has the shield mounted on square tubing.

My thought is the version on the left leaves more room for exhaust gases to escape from under the pot.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this...but, any input would be appreciated.

burner-detail.jpg  

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #12
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 1036 Posts

What many folks have done is to attach some short pieces of square rod to the rail tops to lift their kettles up a 1/4" or more. Solves the problem with the right side design.

If the flat bottom pot diameter is large enough that it rests on all four square tubing segments, the design on the left side will only be modestly more effective than the one on the right, because even though there are four cut-outs between the bracket ends, the exhaust will still have to go down and under the square tubing to escape.

If you raised those four brackets so their tops are above the square tubing by as little as a 1/2" and made them strong enough to become the pot rests, that would provide a big improvement wrt "breathing", as the exhaust would then flow directly out and up.

But I think adding the square stock to the rail tops is easier and at least as effective if not more so...

Cheers!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
jfrizzell
Recipes 

I'm leaning toward the design below. The rear tube of the upper frame will be lowered and the wind / heat shield will only go to the top of this tube. That will leave a gap between the pot and the upper tube for heat / gases to escape. The wind shield will be bolted to the angle brackets in the corners and the wind shield will then have slots milled in it to allow height adjustment of the burner.

I know this is a little more complicated than just putting bars to raise the pot, but I'm hoping this will also serve to direct the hot exhaust to the rear of the stand, away from the front of the pots where I would have shut offs / temp probes / etc.

burner-mount.jpg  

Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Overall shot of the latest design.

stand.jpg  

Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
cdematteis
Recipes 

Looks good! Just subscribed. I am actually in the same phase of my own build and am starting out the same way - manually controlled for now and adding electronics later. I will be ordering 2" SS square tube tomorrow and will be using flat bar or square rod to create a grate on top. In addition to helping with exhaust and burner efficiency, it will also allow for using different size kettles. I am starting with 25 gal kettles that have 18.25" bottom diameter. My initial design was 18" x 68" leaving 7" between vessels for handle clearance but I may stretch it out a few more inches each way to accommodate 23-25" kettles in the future.

I am also trying to figure out best way to mount the 10" Banjo burners and debating between brackets/shroud vs. an adjustable mounting bar. Do you have any concerns about the shroud reducing airflow? Have you considered a mounting bar(s)?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Thanks. Getting some things ordered and moving along. Got the burners ordered. Ended up going with the BG-14 for the HLT and kettle and the BG-12 for the MLT. Ordered all from AgriSupply.

Not really concerned about the wind shields blocking airflow. If you google the Blickmann Engineering burners. They're made the same way and after having my floor burner blown out about a half dozen times the last time I brewed, I'm definitely going with the wind shields. I'm either going to have the burners slide up and down in a slot in the wind shields or fixed to the wind shield and have a slot in the corner brackets.

I actually have a modified design of this and I'll post pictures later. Essentially instead of having the bend brackets in the corners, I have a triangular flat piece that will go in the corners. This will help block the heat on the front where I'll have valves and tubing, etc. On the back, I'll still have an opening for exhaust.

Trying to avoid putting bar stock on top to support the pots. Nothing against this, I just prefer to have the pots sit on the angle iron.

I'll be ordering Chugger pumps as soon as the March Madness deals are available.

Looking forward to working on this and eventually brewing on it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
cdematteis
Recipes 

I am also now leaning toward the wind shield since the BG-14's have the pre drilled holes which make mounting easier. Look forward to seeing your latest design with the triangular flat pieces. Any reason why you went with the BG-12 instead of the BG-14 for the MLT?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Just from what I've read, it seems the BG-14 might be overkill for an MLT. I'll be recirculating with the pump and direct firing the MLT. Some seem to thing the Bg-14 is oversized for this.

Sitting in an airport coming home from a business trip at the moment. Drinking Sweet Water IPA. I'll probably post some new pics tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
jfrizzell
Recipes 

This is what I'm leaning toward now.

latest-burner-mount.bmp.jpg  

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #20
cdematteis
Recipes 

You have mad CAD skills. I found an example of a stand on brewershardware.com today - check out the pictures:

It is a similar design with the longitudinal support 2 inches lower than the other supports to vent exhaust gas to the rear. I am going to modify my design in this fashion. I like the idea of cutting the heat shield back as well.

What height are you making the stand? I am thinking of 20' inches with 4" casters - I don't want it too high and like the lower center of gravity.

Quick Reply