Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > A simple HERMS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
cowgo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
Actualy I'm thinking of fly sparging. I want to use the same manifolds I use for fly sparging now and use them for recerculating the wort during the mash.
I want it to work this way:

1. Heat up the strike water, dough in, etc. All that you do the "old" AG way, no changes there.

2. Heat up some heat-exchange water in your BK. Heat it up to your desired mash temp., 152 for example. This water you will later use for sparging.

3. Start recirculating the wort from the mash using your immersion chiller sitting in the BK. Wort comes out from the MLT through a manifold (or whatever you use), goes through the pump, then through the IC sitting in the BK, then back to the MLT through the fly-sparge manifold.

4. Sparging: use the heat-exchange water you used in mashing. Pump it to the fly-sparge manifold. The ready wort goes down into a fermenting bucket.

5. Boil your wort, use your IC for cooling it down, etc, etc.

Mashing w/heat exchange through an IC:

Sparging:

I'm liking this. 2 vessels, one pump, one heat source. The Brutus 20 is a cool system but I wanted an electric system and can't get an element under the false bottom.

So you collect the sparge wort in the fermenting bucket and then dump it back into the BK?

Is a March pump strong enough to pull through the MLT, push up through the IC and back to the MLT?
Kegged/bottled: Cowbrau Heifer Weizen, Kolsch, House Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Faux Urquell Blond Ale and Irish Red

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgo View Post
I'm liking this. 2 vessels, one pump, one heat source. The Brutus 20 is a cool system but I wanted an electric system and can't get an element under the false bottom.

So you collect the sparge wort in the fermenting bucket and then dump it back into the BK?

Is a March pump strong enough to pull through the MLT, push up through the IC and back to the MLT?

The March technically does not pull anything, as it is not self priming. But it will easily pussh through the IC and to the MLT, I have done this many times in closed circuit cooling.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I would love to get away with just two vessels (no dedicated HLT), but that requires a no-sparge and I don't want to do that.
It is a trade off. If you're using your BK to hold the heat exchange/sparge water, there's no way to use only two vessels( or no config. that my pea sized brain can think of)
I already had all three vessels, so, for me, it was just a matter of a few reconfigurations.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
Actualy I'm thinking of fly sparging. I want to use the same manifolds I use for fly sparging now and use them for recirculating the wort during the mash.
I want it to work this way:

1. Heat up the strike water, dough in, etc. All that you do the "old" AG way, no changes there.

2. Heat up some heat-exchange water in your BK. Heat it up to your desired mash temp., 152 for example. This water you will later use for sparging.

3. Start recirculating the wort from the mash tun using your immersion chiller sitting in the BK. Wort comes out from the MLT through a manifold (or whatever you use), goes through the pump, then through the IC sitting in the BK, then back to the MLT through the fly-sparge manifold.

4. Sparging: use the heat-exchange water you used in mashing. Pump it to the fly-sparge manifold. The ready wort goes down into a fermenting bucket.

5. Boil your wort, use your IC for cooling it down, etc, etc.

Mashing w/heat exchange through an IC:

Sparging:
So during mash, you're using the pump to recirc, but during fly sparge, MLT drains via gravity?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
So during mash, you're using the pump to recirc, but during fly sparge, MLT drains via gravity?
Yep, that's the plan.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is what I have been looking for!!! I want to up grade and go electric! So who has built this? I would love to see one. Thanks again guys!!!

Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy.
-Ben Franklin

Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's not "true" 2-vessel brewing if you collect wort into a bucket. It's just that the 3rd vessel is temporary and not built into the system. The only downside to this idea is that you have to wait until the entire sparge is done before you can start heating the wort to boil, not to mention all the heat you'll lose while it's sitting around. The other alternative is to move the sparge to a cooler that you prop on top of the MLT so that you're pumping wort to the BK and gravity draining the sparge. That way, you can flame-on the wort immediately and shave an easy 35-40 minutes off your brew day.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
PTisch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about putting a heat stick into the fermenter while it is filling? Making sure that the stick is off the bottom of the bucket of course.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You could, but now you're adding a temporary heat source to a temporary vessel getting even further away from the idea of a "simple" two vessel "system". Why not build the 3rd vessel into the system?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #20
PTisch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why? I don't know. I was just solving the heat loss problem in the collection vessel. I didn't think it through much farther than that.

Quick Reply