Silicon just started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
I have always worked my a$$ off string down the head build up at start of boil and at adding hops , I always thought to my self I'm not putting that crap in my beer but than I did research on it and found its healthy for you , I cant believe how easy it made life in the brew pots

Brew.jpg

I think he means stirring too.

It's pretty funny to see how many posts there are like this these days..

Smartphones just don't get homebrewing

that's where the silicon comes in, I was really confused by that.

Dude, let it foam, that's why the boil kettle is supposed to be larger. Use your burner valve to control boil height.

Dude, let it foam, that's why the boil kettle is supposed to be larger.

+1. The whole point of a "rolling" boil is to get those hops moving around isomerize the alpha acids. If you want to prevent boil-overs you can also skim off the first hot break - that creamy foam that builds just before you reach full boil. :ban:

Ya Ya YA I spell like a 2end grader :confused: ... Yes the silcon keeps down the head siliconhttp://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/74/35461/drink-beer-build-strong-bones.html

O my boil rollllsssssssssss like no other its just to keep the head down and it works . Am I the only one with a local brewing supply place that offers this stuff ? , You only add 2 drops per gallon of wart

O my boil rollllsssssssssss like no other its just to keep the head down and it works . Am I the only one with a local brewing supply place that offers this stuff ? , You only add 2 drops per gallon of wart

No, you're not the only one. Lots of people use fermcap s which contains silicone.

Ok ill post a pic of this Sh^7 in a minut let me know if this stuff is going to kill me lol :fro:

i used to use fermcap in the boil when i first started. I was starting with 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 gallon pot. Now that I have big enough kettles I dont worry about it so much. However I do still use it when making starters. Especially helpful on the step ups.

Sorry why is this in the DIY section?

Exactly what I was thinking.

To the OP, you're kind of talking about two different but related things here. Silicon is a natural element. Silicone is a man-made compound derived from silicon and other chemicals. Dietary silicon is used to build strong bones. Fermcap S is a food-safe silicone emulsion (provided you follow the appropriate dosage) that lowers the surface tension in the wort, so you have less of a chance of having a boil-over. My understanding is Fermcap S is insoluble and settles out with time. Assuming that's true it wouldn't be a source of dietary silicon.

Latest posts

Back