Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side-by-Side Kegerator/Fermentation Chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Forbein11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Side-by-Side Kegerator/Fermentation Chamber

BUILD THREAD

After viewing Boerderij_Kaboute's side-by-side fermentation chamber thread, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side-side-fermentation-chamber-build-105054/, I decided to attempt one of the ideas later talked about in the thread. I wanted to create a unit I could lager in and/or serve kegged beer out of one side and ferment ales in the other side. I picked up a 2003 Frigidaire on craigslist for $100. The freezer side will be for kegged beer serving and/or lagering depending on my needs. The fridge side will be for fermenting ales.

First, I stripped everything out of both sides. I took out the drawers, shelves, icemaker. For this build, there is no need to remove any of the back panels in the freezer to expose the compressor and fan unless you want to be sure everything is running properly after the temp control is wired in. I found it helpful to be able to see this though.

To control the whole thing I purchased a Love TSS2-2100 control. One side controls the freezer temperature and the other controls the fridge side. At the moment, I only need cooling. Heat could later be added by using a single stage Love to control a heater on the fridge side. There are two thermostats on this fridge model. One controls each side. To get to these you need to remove the temperature control system panel on the front and side of the fridge (open fridge pic above shows this on the top of the fridge section and running down the side to the back). All the wires you will need are behind this panel. Mine removes with four screws, 3 in front and one in the back by the fan/damper.

When you take it out it will look like this (I've pulled the thermos out of their place-on the right). You can see the damper motor and damper box at the back. Damper motor is the silver round thing.

Now the Love controler needs to be hooked up to run this thing. I got a wiring schematic online on the frigidaire site. There may be one in your manual if you can get it. I used the freezer thermo and bypassed the fridge thermo since it is more than a on/off switch. I'll post some kind of wiring diagram in a follow up to this as I'm not sure how to get it in here. The Love needs power to run. You need to pull hot and neutral from the wiring harness that connects this assembly to the fridge. I tapped (cut wire, reconnected and add 3rd as a pigtail coming out) the black hot wire and light blue neutral wires prior to them entering the adaptive defrost board (pic below). The hot runs to #5 on the Love and the neutral light blue runs to #4 on the love. Please don't take these colors as gospel. Even a different Frigidaire may have different wiring. Now, if assembly connected, the Love will power up (will throw error code though as no temp probes hooked up)

Next hook up the freezer and fridge thermos. I cut the black wire going into the freezer thermo. Run a wire from this (non-thermo side of cut wire)to #7 and #10 on the Love. This will provide juice to both switches on the Love. Now, run a wire from #8 on the Love back to the other side of the cut you made a minute ago (into thermo side) into the freezer thermo. Disconnect the black jumper wire between the freezer and fridge thermo. Tape both of these ends off the prevent a short.

Now for the fridge thermo. Cut the pink and the purple/white wires that leave the fridge thermo. These wires control the damper motor and compressor. This opens the damper door when the fridge calls for cold and closes then it is not calling. Closing the damper prevents cold air from being blown into the fridge when only the freezer is calling for cooling. Run a wire from the Love to the pink wire going to the damper from #9. This will act to let the damper door close. Run a wire from #11 on the Love to the pur/wht wire going to the defrost board. This will allow the compressor and fan to come on and open the damper door. Tape off any wire not connected to prevent a short. Connections below.

Now hook up the temp probes to check if everything is working. The temp probe each have 2 wires, blue and brown. I don't think it matters which color goes where. I connected the brown from probe #1 to #1(Love), Brown from probe #2 to #2(Love) and hook both blues to #3(Love). Plug the whole unit in to see if everything works (reads temp, can be set to cycle both fridge and freezer on and off). You will have to set your Love to how you want it to control for this to work. Fully wired pic below before neatly taping everything into the assembly.

I installed the Love into the side of the fridge (easiest for wiring). Cut through the skin(outside) and plastic (inside) with a dremel or similar. Cut out the insulation. The thread linked at the beginning shows how to do this. I had no coils in the walls to concern myself with. Connect wires through hole, push Love through and silicone in place.

I'll grab some pics of the finished unit and update the post, hopefully tonight. I'll also try to wrap up with an small details to neaten/finish it up.

Right now I have a keg hooked up in the freezer side carbonating at 42 deg. At the moment I've got picnic taps for these kegs. I might add faucets and shanks to the freezer side when I can afford them and some new Perlicks. For now I can pre-chill and carb while waiting for a spot in my keezer (3 tap) to open up. Of course, I could brew more and just have 5 beers on tap. Let me know if you have any questions.
On Tap: Centennial Pale Ale, Darth Lager, Centennial/Simcoe Red, 3C IPA, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown, Sweet Melisa's Honey Lager
To Do: Wicked Pissa Pumpkin, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown
Bottled: Hair of the Dog - RIS, Wicked Pissa Pumpkin

Side by Side Fermentation Chamber/Kegerator Build

Last edited by Forbein11; 02-05-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: ID as a build not a question

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Forbein11
Recipes 

Default Electric Complete

Electric Completed - Works as advertised!

I got the electric finalized last night and the unit is working as planned. Took a while to figure out the Love settings as I’m not an electric guy. Below is a sketch of what I did with the electric. Any connection on the top of the Love portion (top right 1-10) of the sketch is from the unit INTO the LOVE. Any connection on the bottom is from the Love OUT to the unit. On the thermo sketch portion I do not show the taps to get the hot and the neutral that go to #4 and #5. That is explained in the post above (I tapped prior to the defrost board.

Below the sketch, I have listed the programming parameters needed for the Love and a few that you will likely want to play with. Setting the Love up correctly from the start will prevent a lot of frustration I went through. One wrong setting and the Love will not control the way you would like it to.

Important settings for Love:

SP1 - Temp for freezer
SP2 – Temp for Fridge
r0 – ind
r8 –ON2 This is the one I had trouble with. Uses both probes. Key setting.
c0 – 0 This is the length of time between allowing the switch to come on. For testing should be set to 0. You can increase this delay later to keep the unit from cycling too much. If longer delay while testing you might think it’s not working when you hit your temp and the switch doesn’t work. It would be working correctly and you’ll think it’s broken.
c1 – dir
c2 – dir
P5 – 2

Other Love settings to use:

r1 – Controls temp fluctuation in excess of setting for Freezer
r2 - Controls temp fluctuation in excess of setting for Fridge
-This can help prevent cycling. For example, I have the freezer set to 42. It will not switch on
until 44. Beer will still be 42 even though air is 44. (same for r1 at different temp).

There’s more functionality but I don’t need it. I’ve got to give some thanks to the electricians at work. Without their help I would have fried something. Luckily they like free beer. Hope that this is helpful. Let me know if anyone needs any help.
On Tap: Centennial Pale Ale, Darth Lager, Centennial/Simcoe Red, 3C IPA, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown, Sweet Melisa's Honey Lager

Last edited by Forbein11; 02-05-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Electric completed

Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Forbein11
Recipes 

Electric finished. I will update with more pics tonight of project as it stands now. Both the fermentation and kegerator/lager side are functional. I will also add pics as I finish up the small stuff like shelving, CO2 reg setup and shanks and faucets if I ever decide to move from the picnic tap.

This is a 23 ft3 unit. I think I can get 2 buckets or carboys in the fridge side with a shelf, maybe more. ON the freezer side, I am going to have 2 kegs w/ picnic taps for now. With a shelf, I can lager in something (need to find a solution) while distributing beer. Beer might be a bit colder than I like it for a while but I can let it warm in the glass when lagering. If not fermenting an ale, I think I can get the fridge side down to 45 or so to lager there.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks good, thanks for all the details!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Looking awesome!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
coachburke14
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks good, this is going to be interesting to follow.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I have that exact same fridge and have been wanting to do the same thing!

Here's my story! It was my brothers fridge and after Katrina hit he didn't have power. I brought him a 60kw generator (ran 4 houses off it!) and he hooked it all up and started the generator... apparently his circuits were on and before he could set the output of the generator he hit his entire house with too much juice and blew alot of stuff up (the TV Exploded!) So he bought a new controler for the fridge and tha fixed some of the problems, thermostats damper door etc... He finally gave up on it and gave it to me. Everything was freezing both sides... and couldn't control the temps between the two. Then the compressor went out. I found a replacement and fixed it and finally worked on the temp controlers and dampner again and it has been working like new (I only put $200 in parts in it, so I'm still cheaper than a new fridge).
So I had a similar idea to serve beer out of the freezer side and ferment on the fridge side, but once I actually fixed it I couldn't get the temps high enough. I thought about the Johnson Controls temp controller, but never felt confident that it would do what I wanted it to do. After seeing what you have done... I HAVE A NEW PROJECT!!!! AND IT WILL GET ME WHERE I WANTED TO BE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

So a few questions:
1. if I read the above correctly, the original temp controlers are now disconnected and non-functional (can be rewired to original if you ever felt like it... Right?).
2. Can you show pics of where and how you routed the temps sensors for both sides?
3. How much of a temp differential can you get between the 2 sides?
3a. Would you be capable of having the freezer @ 38* for serving and the fridge side @ 68* for fermenting an Ale?
4. Could you post links to where you got your love controler and other various parts?
5. I have 0 experience with Love Controllers, are the setup procedures relatively simple?

Thanks again!!! This Thread is Awesome!!!

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Forbein11
Recipes 

Answers to your questions. Forgive me if I'm not 100% I've been out w/ the SWMBO having a few drinks.

1. I could rewire if need be. All I'd have to do is reconnect.

2. I will add those pics. Fridge side just goes from controller into fridge and hangs. Freezer side goes through firdge and I drilled a small hole into freezer that I passed the probe through. I plan on putting hooks on the top of the fridge to keep this neat.

3. I can get a lot of temp dif. I've had the freezer at 42 and fridge at b/w 52 and 68 depending on setting.

4. I got the Love @ Dwyer instruments. http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=622&sPageName=Ordering

5. Love set-up is not too hard. Just have to pay attention. Myself or others on the site can get you going. What I paosted should be pretty good.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks! Pretty much all I need is the controler and temp probes.

I noticed they make both PVC and Metal probes. Any one better than the other for this application? The price is the same so not sure if it matters or not.

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Forbein11
Recipes 

Not sure if one is better than the others. I bought the PVC. I was told (don't know if it is truth though) that neither is liquid safe. I plan on putting the one in the ferment side on the side of the fermenter and insulating it on the outside to keep that temp under check.

Quick Reply