New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side by side fridge for simultaneous chilling AND fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
tronnyjenkins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Side by side fridge for simultaneous chilling AND fermentation

I have my beer in the fridge section currently, but I am thinking about trying something- keeping the keg on tap in the freezer section, and fiddling with the thermostat on the fridge to get the temps about where I want them. I have a Johnson Controls A419 that I was planning on using for the freezer side. My reasoning behind this is that while the temperature of a fermentation needs to be more exact, I don't want to freeze the beer in the keg... Thoughts anyone?

Tronny

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
dgrabstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There was a recent post about this where a guy had keezer on the left side and ferm chamber on the right. Looked pretty simple and it worked out for him, so I say go for it!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
mikeal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are a few folks here that have that setup. Mine has two ebay aquarium controllers. One is in place of the stock thermostat and the other controls a fan between the freezer and fridge.

The hole between the two sides on my build is pretty small, so I can't get the fridge side down to crash-cool temps. It will hit the low 60s in a 100* garage though.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You definately need dual temp controllers. One to control the freezer function and the second to push/pull the cold air into the refrigerator side. Check out the link in my signature for my build, I am able to cold crash and both sides or raise the temp in the refrigerator side for fermenting ales.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
mikeal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrevino View Post
You definately need dual temp controllers. One to control the freezer function and the second to push/pull the cold air into the refrigerator side. Check out the link in my signature for my build, I am able to cold crash and both sides or raise the temp in the refrigerator side for fermenting ales.
It must be the larger hole you have. I just screwed a fan over the existing hole. I might enlarge mine and see if it makes a difference.

Quick Reply