Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side-By-Side Fridge - Fermentation Chamber (with heat)/Keezer combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #51
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looking good so far. Upped the Hy value on the freezer to 5.0 until I need to ferment in there. Otherwise, it's chilling sodas, etc and providing the cool air for the fridge side.

image-4025509233.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #52
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Both PIDs went back to Auber...one was defective and not reading the temp correctly (verified by Auber) and they're sending a replacement. Second PID wasn't power up and it must have been a blown fuse because they said it's just fine.

Brewing has been on hold due to not being able to really control temps. As soon as they get back, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #53
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Got shelves built for the freezer side and a light bulb in an enclosure to heat the fridge side.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #54
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Light bulb was pretty ineffective at heating the fridge side, so I picked up a 750W electric fan heater.

Thinking about wiring it...without overloading the 10A relay of the SYL-2342 PIDs. I have a dedicated leg for power with a 1A fuse for the two PIDs and the two 12V PC fans are draw on that as well. The PID that controls the compressor which cools the freezer side, closes the circuit to power the compressor.

The heater draws 6.25 amps (750W / 120V). I'm sure the compressor draws more than 3.75 amps. To try and keep this simple, the PID that controls the compress is the freezer PID and the PID that controls the temp on the fridge side is the fridge PID (fans to circulate air from the freezer to cool and the heater keep it from getting too cool). If I jump from the constant hot leg that powers the compressor on the freezer PID to contact 8 on the fridge PID, that doesn't put the draw of the heater and the compressor on the freezer relay, right? And it would only be an issue if the heater and compressor were both running at the same time, if it's an issue for the freezer PID's relay.

Does that sound right?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #55
jtkratzer

Recipes 

It's working as described above where the power source for the heater and compressor are separate from what powers the PIDs.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #56
drkwoods
DarkWoods
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Light bulb was pretty ineffective at heating the fridge side, so I picked up a 750W electric fan heater.

Thinking about wiring it...without overloading the 10A relay of the SYL-2342 PIDs. I have a dedicated leg for power with a 1A fuse for the two PIDs and the two 12V PC fans are draw on that as well. The PID that controls the compressor which cools the freezer side, closes the circuit to power the compressor.

The heater draws 6.25 amps (750W / 120V). I'm sure the compressor draws more than 3.75 amps. To try and keep this simple, the PID that controls the compress is the freezer PID and the PID that controls the temp on the fridge side is the fridge PID (fans to circulate air from the freezer to cool and the heater keep it from getting too cool). If I jump from the constant hot leg that powers the compressor on the freezer PID to contact 8 on the fridge PID, that doesn't put the draw of the heater and the compressor on the freezer relay, right? And it would only be an issue if the heater and compressor were both running at the same time, if it's an issue for the freezer PID's relay.

Does that sound right?
yea I ditched the Light bulb idea after one week of testing. As Far as overloading the circuits..Just make sure the power into the PID is the main power in from the plug (constant hot). Im sure the vast majority of the time they will not be both running.. the critical point is when the compressor starts up from a dead stop. It draws the most at that point. Im sure your prob fine. If you look at my build Im usinga heater too now.

drkwoods
DarKWoods Brewing
My Unique Single Tier Brut-esque HERMS Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...-build-293204/

Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #57
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkwoods
yea I ditched the Light bulb idea after one week of testing. As Far as overloading the circuits..Just make sure the power into the PID is the main power in from the plug (constant hot). Im sure the vast majority of the time they will not be both running.. the critical point is when the compressor starts up from a dead stop. It draws the most at that point. Im sure your prob fine. If you look at my build Im usinga heater too now.
I only ran it long enough to see how things would go. Temp rose 15 degrees pretty quickly. I'm curious to see how far of a spread I can do between the fridge and freezer.

At/near the max is where I'm concerned about the overload. If the heat is running to keep the fridge warm and that heat leaks into the freezer side enough to cause it to run, that's where I'd see them both on. I would think as long as I'm in the mid to upper 40s in the freezer and mid to upper 60s or lower in the fridge, I think I'll be ok, that along with a sufficiently big enough Hy setting.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #58
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Got the fans installed and everything finished up. Compressor and heater have run at the same time and all seems well. Heater is only running on one PID and the compressor is on the other PID. Jumped power from the constant hot that used to go through the thermostat that closed the circuit between that hot and the leg to the compressor.

The freezer side is in the mid to upper 40s to store bottled beer for now and the fridge is in the mid 60s to see how things go with the two different temps.

I'll have both sides fermenting two different ales over the next couple weeks and I'm interested to see how the freezer side does without a heater in it when mid to upper 60s will be the desired temp. I suppose I could wiring the fans to run constantly to circulate the heat from the fridge and it basically will be the complete opposite from the summer where the freezer cools both sides.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #59
jdub44
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm building a similar type arrangement with my side by side. I will be using the Fermtroller to control my 3 zones. I plan on making 2 fermenting zones on fridge side and using the freezer side for chilling and storing beer. I am using fermwraps for heating and plan on installing two computer fans to draw air from the freezer side to their respective zone on the fridge side. Did you install any louvers to prevent air flow between the two sides when the fans are off? I'd also be interested to see some pics of the finished install with the fans.

Cheers!

Josh
www.warehousebrewery.com

Old 05-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #60
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub44 View Post
I'm building a similar type arrangement with my side by side. I will be using the Fermtroller to control my 3 zones. I plan on making 2 fermenting zones on fridge side and using the freezer side for chilling and storing beer. I am using fermwraps for heating and plan on installing two computer fans to draw air from the freezer side to their respective zone on the fridge side. Did you install any louvers to prevent air flow between the two sides when the fans are off? I'd also be interested to see some pics of the finished install with the fans.

Cheers!
Was out of town for a bit and hadn't been on the site. I didn't not install any preventative measures to stop air flow. I have a dedicated beer fridge for the kegs and rarely have the temps that far apart that anything runs very long keeping appropriate temps on each side. I simply drilled holes through the divider and bolted the fans to it. Nothing elegant, but it works. I got the fridge for $50 and didn't feel like spending a ton of money or effort in making it show worthy in the event it dies and needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply