Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side-By-Side Fridge - Fermentation Chamber (with heat)/Keezer combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Side-By-Side Fridge - Fermentation Chamber (with heat)/Keezer combo?

I've seen threads where the entire fridge is gutted into one big fermentation chamber with heat. I've seen others where the freezer side turned into a kegerator/keezer with the fridge side for fermentation.

I'd like to set one up with four ball locks on the freezer side and be able to fit four fermentors (5 gallons) on the fridge side. I need to be able to heat the fridge side a bit in the winter as the fridge will be in the garage and the winter temps can get down to the single digits. It's probably not that cold in the garage, but it's definitely cold enough to need heat.

I'd like to be able to keep the kegs in the 40s or so for serving and have fermentation temps range from the 40s-72 or so. Is that reasonable?

Just trying to figure out if using heat in the winter time when fermenting an ale is going to be a constant fight against the temp on the kegerator side.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out my build in my signature. I havent added heat but I think that with the addition of another controller you could add heat and it would not affect the freezer side at all. Hell, you may get lucky and the heat from the fermentation may be all that you need.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Thanks, I saw this last night, but hadn't read all the threads I opened looking for ideas. I replied on your thread as well.

Looks a lot like what I want to do. Is there any particular reason why I see a lot more LOVE controllers vs Auber PIDs? Doesn't Auber make controllers that can handle heating and cooling on the same unit.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Thanks, I saw this last night, but hadn't read all the threads I opened looking for ideas. I replied on your thread as well.

Looks a lot like what I want to do. Is there any particular reason why I see a lot more LOVE controllers vs Auber PIDs? Doesn't Auber make controllers that can handle heating and cooling on the same unit.
I do not know much about the Auder controls but Love makes many models including one that does heating and cooling. The unit I used in this build is one of those units, but instead of controlling a heating function it controls the pc fan. When sp2, the refrigerator/right side, calls for cooling the fan turns on. This function sp2 could be used for heating instead but in my build I need it to control the fan. I would need an additional single stage controller to add a heating element if I ever need to raise the temperature higher then what it could attain from the natural heat generated during the fermentation process.
freefallnick Likes This 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
jtkratzer

Recipes 

I just talked to Auber Instruments and they recommended the SYL-2342 controller. I would need two controllers to do two different cooling temps and heat. The guy I talked to said an incandescent light bulb is a commonly used source for heating that the 200 watt output should be able to easily raise the temperature inside of a fridge to 100* above ambient temp. I don't need that much, but that would definitely cover me to 75* for any temp I've ever seen in Lancaster, Pa.

It would be nice if there was a controller that displayed the cooling set point, heat set point, as well as current temp without having to cycle through the display.

Even if it's just an LED, I'd like to have an indicator of when the heating process is active.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Anyone else done something similar?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
jtkratzer

Recipes 

The two SYL-2342s and thermocouples are in. Still looking for that fridge. Got the green light from SWMBO to order the rest of the stuff I need for kegging (regulator, lines, disconnects, faucets, etc) for my birthday.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
Nail
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have converted a side by side also. I am only able to get 3 cornies in the freezer side but mine is an older (80's) model with much less cuft than is available now. I use either a fermwrap or if I am lagering multiple fermenters a small space heater that can one can get for less than $15. The temps that you are looking for are easily obtainable. I used the cheap eBay controllers that are featured in many posts. Although they read in C they do offer heating and cooling capabilities.

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
jtkratzer

Recipes 

$60 CL-find fridge is in the truck.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #10