Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side by Side Fermenter/Keggerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
cas3439
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Installed the shelves today. Tomorrow I will put the standard white wire shelves in top of these silver ones. The silver ones are for the strength, and the white ones have the wires close enough to place beer bottles on top of without falling over. The shelf with the fermenting bucket on it is just the original adjustable shelve with the glass taken off and silver (and eventually the white) wire shelf attached to it. That way the shelf can be moved if not fermenting and other glass adjustable shelves added for more beer storage. as it sits, 4 corny kegs will fit on the freezer side (CO2 would have to be in fridge side or outside), and 2 fermenting buckets on the right.

96.jpg   97.jpg   98.jpg   99.jpg   102.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #22
JWBC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This is exactly what I have been looking for, its a nice clean build. I just hope that I can find a cheap side by side to start this as my next project! I am very jealous

Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #23
cas3439
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks JWBC, finding a cheap fridge is key in keeping the cost down. I got the white shelves installed today. I just zip-tied them to the silver ones. I also mounted the freezer side probe holder. The white disc (just used a hole-saw on some of the plastic I took out of the fridge) just helps keep the probe in the middle of the container. I will fill each container with water when I'm done. I have read other posts about the probes not being water proof, but I haven't had any problems with my other build I built last year. I figure I'll just continue like this until I do have a problem, then I'll make some sort of thermo well.

103.jpg   104.jpg   105.jpg   106.jpg   107.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #24
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well done!!! Cheers!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #25
Yevmeister
Recipes 

amazing, thumbs up for efficient set up

Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
cas3439
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats it for the build. I didn't put any taps thru the door on this one, but I set it up for them. I just wanted to show you what it looks like. Here are some of pics of my first build with 2 taps. Thanks everyone for posting your build threads so we don't go in blind when we try to do our own!!

108.jpg   109.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #27
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

well this throws a kink in my plans...... that thing is awesome. I was working on a chest freezer fermentation chamber / keggerator cabinet idea. My space is limited, so I don't have room for 2 large things. This seems far simpler.

I wonder if you could further divide the one side into two sections one for lager, one for ales?

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #28
cas3439
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Ceedubya. You probably could but it would take another controller I think, plus it would be a lot more work. If you get a big enough fridge (like my red & black one), you can just stick your bucket or carboy in the freezer side like I am doing now with a lager, leaving the fridge side for the higher temp ferments. Its a bit colder than I like the drinking temps out of the taps, but thats the price you sometimes pay for the home brew.

2012-04-02-20.17.23.jpg  

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #29
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

good idea. My lager brews are few and far between anyways. But with a unit like this, who know? I may do a lot more!

3 more questions:

1. Do you have a wire schematic?
2. will 4 kegs fit in the freezer side?
3. do you gain anything (room) by removing the fridge inside door and using metal too?

there is an appliance repair / recycle place down the road from me that always has a bunch of these units that people drop off. He fixes them up, or makes sure they are up to snuff and resells. I have bought several things from him at decent prices (and he gave me a free old 1960's all metal stand up freezer to use as a smoker). So, I'll be paying him a visit this week!

One of these wrapped in wood panels would be KILLER!

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
cas3439
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Same here with the lager brews, I just happen to have one going at the moment. I would like to see one wrapped in wood and stained! To answer your questions:

1. See picture. This is basically what I did, but just understand that the 2 fridges I did where a little different in the wiring. One was a Maytag and the other a Kenmore. I do have another schematic so I know what wires I used to get from the freezer door to the main splice area.

2. Yes 4 kegs will fit in both of fridges. Remember the more cu ft of a fridge you get the more room. Keep in mind that if you want 4 in there you will have to move the CO2 into the fridge side or outside of the unit. Outside of the unit would be very simple running the air line where the water used to come into the ice maker.

3. Yes, on this fridge (Maytag), you would gain probably 4 more inches, I would have to measure the inside to see if you could get 2 carboys on the same shelf. That being said I wouldn't use the adjustable shelf (wouldnt trust it with 2) but would make a permenent shelf like the bottom one. I personally like having the shelf options on the fridge door to but beer, water or other crap on. If I need extra room (they stick farther into the fridge than just the plastic frame of the door), I just pull them out.

byerly-fridge-schematic2.jpg  

Quick Reply