Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side-by-Side to Fermentation Chamber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #31
mZnthebend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Very creative. What are the charcoal briquettes for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #32
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mZnthebend View Post
Very creative. What are the charcoal briquettes for?
Probably condensation control.

Very, Very nice setup!!! I recently lost my old deep freezer's compressor and had to buy a new one that was smaller. I really miss the storage area of the larger one. My only concern about buying a used one is how long the cooling unit will last. Seeing as you are pretty handy with the inner workings of one, are they inexpensive to replace after going through all of this effort? I bet so, and I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago!!

Prost!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #33
sully
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that is freakin sweet

Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #34
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a side by side sitting in the back yard of a rental house under a cover the last 3 years thinking it was too much trouble to chop and convert vs a single space frige. I was going to call the recyclers as a new frig is in the house. Now you have me thinking about saving it. My fear was the temperature between the cooled and freezer section causing a problem even with the divider cut out. This is a false fear of mine. This is a free extra fridge that can hold two 24 gallon extra tall keggle fermenters with ease. Now ya got me thinking as the little 1947 Philco is in the patio at home and will remain original, a piece of my grandparents house I must keep original and use with fond memories. Time to rehang the doors, the hinges are in place with no parts missing. The reason I replaced it was the renters were smokers and the frige was sticky brown from their smoking. Time for the SawZall and cut out the divider then relocate it at another house that is empty and my brewing location. I was thinking about that stuff called AirBall a sealer used on decks of boats for sealing the cut open foam sections. Thick brush on item after adding a couple of coats. Thanks I may have saved this frige, hell starting off free just the controller cost is needed plus some butcher work. Wiring it is free in my stock pile. Thanks you may of saved a frige from early RIP.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 04-13-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #35
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrow View Post
Is this something you can do over the phone? I mean, I don't have any of the stuff I need yet, but I plan to start looking for it. If I can find a fridge with the wiring diagram, I can scan it and post it for you. This would be an amazing addition to my setup. I just don't want to electrocute myself.
Sure I can help you over the phone on in chat. You really don't need to worry about electrocuting yourself, you will do all the wiring witht he fridge unplugged

PM me if you get the stuff together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Probably condensation control.

Very, Very nice setup!!! I recently lost my old deep freezer's compressor and had to buy a new one that was smaller. I really miss the storage area of the larger one. My only concern about buying a used one is how long the cooling unit will last. Seeing as you are pretty handy with the inner workings of one, are they inexpensive to replace after going through all of this effort? I bet so, and I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago!!

Prost!
The Charcoal is for the moisture and to take up some of the odor from the paint. I know have Damp rid in there and the charcoal is cleaned up and gone.

The fridge was free from CL. If it kicks the can, I will just get a new one, again for free. This project would really only take a day now that I know what I am doing.

I am glad you guys all find this useful. It is a good way to get some use out of an otherwise useless extra fridge. Plus it is a huge space and very convenient for accessing fermenters.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #36
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Do you know/remember the CU FT of this fridge?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #37
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Mine is a 25 Cu. ft.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #38
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome job, I don't know how I missed this. I was planning on waiting for a vertical freezer to do this same thing, but now I may just try to find a side by side

Current Rig
4.5KW E-HLT
5.5KW E-Kettle
MasterFlex Peristaltic Primary Pump
March Secondary Pump
Therminator for Chilling

Planned
Automated Grain Drop
Automated Hop Dropper

System controlled via BrewTroller

Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #39
Reinheitsgebot
Recipes 

Awesome build! Lots of room to ferment in.I have been looking at side by sides, too. I am sure I will come back here for wiring help as well.

As I live in Texas, I need something where I can ferment in more controlled temps. Now that it is getting warm, my primary fluctuates between 72 and 78 on a daily basis. ( I have the bucket in a tub now with a wet T-shirt, so that helps a bit) And I am sure that I'll want to move on to Lagers at some point.

Here is my question: Can I use one side to ferment and set up the other side for cornies with draft tabs? Both would not have to be at freezing, the fermenter side would probably not even have to be chilled, just well insulated.

Has anyone build such a set up? Are the temp controllers suitable for that application?

Any feedback would be great.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #40
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

I have had a couple people ask me about this...

I think it could be done, but will be fairly complicated and would involve moving air with controlled fans. The challenge arises because side-by-side fridges (at least these kind, not Sub Zero or other top end brands) have only one compressor. All the cooling is done in the freezer and then the air is just allowed to flow into the fridge part through vents to keep it cool.

For your needs, I think the best solution would be the fermento-lager-taporator that I designed. I have a link in my sig. I have not built one yet but I think the idea is sound.

Quick Reply