Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Side mounted Fermentation Chamber - Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
FullDraw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Side Fridge Ferm Chamber - nope

We've beaten this one to death. If you'd like to read about it, go ahead. Eventually, I got a good schooling in how my fridge works, and why my idea won't. I'm ok with that, that's why I brought it up.

Help me here with my idea.

I want to make a chamber out of blueboard insulation and somehow monkey it to the side of my fridge. I think, with the cooling lines in the side, that there will be enough cold given off to keep the chamber cool. I don't plan on drilling the fridge and putting a fan in there...yet.

My current thoughts are a floor, top, and three sides. Then weather stripping of some sort so it's "airtight" against the fridge.

Has anyone done this? Feel free to toss over suggestions.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. - Steven Wright

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
FullDraw

Recipes 

Since no one's biting, I'll just have to do it and post the results.

But, if someone has one of those infrared thermometers that shoots the laser, do me a favor. Please shoot the side of your standard fridge side vs some other room temp item, and let me know if there is a difference. I am aware that this temp could vary depending on the cooling cycle being on or off. If a get a few of you to do it, it'll help.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless you're hacking a hole through the fridge and mounting some form of air circulation, you aren't accomplishing any cooling by attaching a ferm chamber to the side panel of a fridge.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The fridge is designed to keep cold in; not to share it with the world.

Think about it. If what your proposing, the area around your fridge would be the coldest in the house...by a huge margin.

Sorry, but your basic premise is flawed.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
FullDraw

Recipes 

Thanks for the support guys.

If my fridge was 100% efficient at maintaining temps, the condenser would kick on one time to get the temp down, and then only when you opened the door. That is not the case, so 2 things could be happening, warm is getting in, or cold is getting out.

My ambient room temp in the summer is only 70*, but if I can create an area in the 60's (lower the better), I'd be happier.
I have the materials at my disposal, so the cost for me is only time.

Since this idea isn't getting support, or random temperature readings from the crowd, I'll just do it, and post the results.

This forum used to have constructive brainstorms, now it only wants proof first.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Cerevisaphile
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Put your hand on the side of the fridge. How cold is it?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Bezel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am pretty sure the exothermic reaction you get from fermentation would override any cooling loss you have through the side of the fridge. When I touch the side of the fridge it feels no colder than the side of my cabinets. You could cut a 3 inch hole at top and bottom for cold air supply and return, just beware of refrigerant lines running in the sides. Use a computer fan to circulate air through your chamber pulling it from the fridge with a fan. But beware, your chamber will have mire loss than the fridge, the compressor is going to cycle more often, shortening its life.

I think a better option would be to purchase a 'garage' fridge and ferment in it. Use an STC-1000 temp controller from eBay to manage temps.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Ignorance of physics does not mean that the laws of physics do not exist.

If your idea had any chance of working, there wouldn't be many threads here about modifying fridges for fermentation chambers. We'd all just build styrofoam boxes in the sides of our fridges.

Man, with the size of the fridge we just bought, I could stack two on each side! Lagers on the left; akes on he right...

Save some money. Get a cheap remote infrared temperature unit at Harbir Freight. Measure the temp on the side of your fridge, the kitchen wall, tha kitchen cabinets, etc. You'll quickly see the reality of the situation.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Remember also that when your fridge cycles on it's removing heat from the inside of the fridge and transferring it to the outside. Where is that transfer occurring? On the sides of the fridge, maybe 80% of the heat is sent to the side coils of the fridge and it'll heat up when the fridge is cooling.

The fridge side is going to be possibly the most UNstable temperature you could possibly get. With massive loads of heat being dumped frequently.

edit: just re-read your post, you mention "cooling lines on the side" being beneficial but those are the HOT side lines, as I mentioned. Unfortunately your premise is flawed, this won't offer you what you're looking for and you'll be far better off building a self contained unit and throwing a jug of ice in there instead.

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Bezel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just remember, nobody is flaming you, just trying to help save you time and money.

Quick Reply