Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sibe By Side kegerator/fermenting chamber conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Sibe By Side kegerator/fermenting chamber conversion

This thread outlines my build of my Side By Side Kegerator and Fermentation Chamber. First off thanks to Forbein11 (Link) his build inspired me and I just took the build a little further. Originally I used his schematics and Love TSS2 settings and duplicated his results, but I was not able to get the right side any lower than mid 40s. Forbien11 installed his controller in the side and it does make for a nice clean setup when you have the door open, but I choose to install the controller in the door so that it is easily seen every time I pass by.

kegerator3.jpg   kegerator4.jpg   kegerator.jpg   kegerator1.jpg   kegerator2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
HempelNet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That fridge looks better then the one in my kitchen! Nice work..

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
: Primary#1 : N/A : Primary#2 : N/A
: Secondary#1 : N/A : Secondary#2 : N/A
: Bottled : Hand-outs ONLY
: Keg #1 : Apfelwein : Keg #2 : Belgian Wit
: Keg #3 : Gumball Head Clone : Keg #4 : Oatmeal Stout
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Got some work done today. I trimed out the door so that I could fit all three kegs in the left side, plumed in the co2 lines and fixed them in place, and insulated the door with expanding foam. The last thing to do is get the fittings to finish up the beer lines, add a second regulator so that I can pressurize and serve at the same time and tiddy up the wiring on the right side.

This is looking into the space that use to be where the ice would come through the door.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Very cool! How many buckets/carboys can you fit in the fermentation side? just one or can you build a shelf and stick two in?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I haven't check the right side for fermenting vessel fit but I would say 2 carboys/buckets no problem and with some custom shelving you could probably fit 3. I would say that 4 corny kegs can fit, so if you haven't started using them to ferment in this would be a good time to start.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have decided to add a pc fan in place of the damper in the fridge side. Can someone help with the programming so I can get sp1 to control the compressor and sp2 to control the pc fan?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update to this build. I could not get the right side (refrigerator side) to cool lower than mid 40s so I have bypassed the adaptive defrost board and have the Love TSS2 controlling the compressor and fan on one switch (SP1) and a 120 VAC pc fan on the other switch (SP2). In this setup I now believe I can equalize the two sides and get the same temp in both zones. If this works I can keep my kegs on tap on the left (SP1) and lager on the right, cold crash, ferment ales, or store extra groceries. Here are a few pics of the pc fan installed in the separating wall and tomorrow I will install a dryer vent to help keep the right side SP2 at the set temperature.

image-1283298150.jpg   image-3878828146.jpg  

Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Everything seems to be working just fine. I can equalize the temps or adjust he two compartments to separate temps. I haven't checked what the max temperature differential is between the two but I have had the left set at 37 F and the right at 60 F, so as you can see the differential can be pretty damn high. I will keep this thread updated and upload a wiring schematic and love tss2 settings once I'm confident that it's "done".

Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
rgrrbt
Recipes 

Nice work. How difficult was it to cut out the ice dispenser assembly? Any tips on the expanding foam? I have a set up similar to this and currently only have two corny kegs on the freezer dispensing side. I think I could get four corny kegs in there if I could trim the door molding and remove the ice dispenser.

On mine, I also installed a 120v PC fan. I have it mounted approximately four inches away from the vent in the center wall and am able to keep the freezer at 40F while getting the refrigerator side down to 55F (not bad considering my garage has been as hot as 120F this summer. I'm wondering if enlarging the vent so that the fan is mounted in the center wall like you have done would enable lower temps.

Are you able to get both sides down to 40F at the same time?

Do you have any difficulty keeping the refrigerator side up to 65F while the freezer is at 40F?

Again - nice job!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
rtrevino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cutting out the ice/water dispenser was not too difficult, I just used a small cut off wheel and trimmed the plastic covering on the inside so that the door would be flush in that area. Initially I was going to take out the entire plastic door panel and replace it with dryerase board or plastic but I decided to keep the factory shelves othe door so that I had extra space for mugs, bottles or brewing supplies. I can easily get 3 cornies ithe freezer side without changing the factory shelving but I might weld or build something out of wood to get a fourth in there.

The PC fan is installed directly in the wall and the output side is almost the size of the entire fan so I can exchange a large volume of air and get the right side temps down fairly low. If you look at the design of the right side and how air is exchanged you may not have a good flow if you have the original two exchange holes and another for the pc fan, that's why I installed my fan directly in place of the damper exchange. I also have the fridge wired so that the evaporator fan kicks in with the pc fan, this should create a good flow of warmer air from the right side to come up through the bottom of the right side and be chilled as it moves up and back out the top.

Before installing the fan I couldnt get the right below about 52 F and without a warming source I couldnt get it but a few degrees warmer than the set temp. Right now I have a lager fermenting in the right side so I haven't played with the temps much more but initially I had the left at 38 F and the right at 65 F with no problem. Currenlty I have the left at 38 and the right at 48 with a lager fermenting. Oh and by the way I would guess that my garage is routinely 120 F.

I had planned on installing a louvered dryer vent flush with the fan to prevent air from exchanging on it's own but it seems to be working as is so im not really that concerned with doing this quite yet.

I hope that answered all your questions. I am really confident in how this is working and if anyone needs help, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply