Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #2231
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post
Aright, no one shoot me please, I did search and still couldn't find a solid answer...
What is the typical cost of having a single tier brew sculpture welded together? For materials and labor.
I just bought 2x2x11 ga (1/8", basically) SS for my brewstand. I got a deal at $7/foot. You can use smaller tubing, but I think you'll need more of it, or you'll have a weaker stand. I could not go thinner than 11 ga, no matter what the material.

The same material in mild steel is $2.50/foot.

Steel like this is usually sold in 20 foot pieces. My stand is going to take between 40 and 50 feet.

SS needs to be MIG or TIG welded. TIG is a slower process and finding something with TIG equipment and experience is more difficult. In my area, TIG welders charge shop time at a minimum of $100/hr.

Shop time includes set up time, coffee breaks, bathroom breaks, clean up, tool maintenance, etc, as well as the actual work time. You can probably add 25% to the actual time it takes to weld the stand to get shop time.

The other issue is material. Most shops aren't going to have exactly what you want already on hand. They are going to buy it from their supplier at whatever price they offer it at and charge you for the time it takes to get it, directly or indirectly. Nobody works for free.

A big part of the fabrication process is figuring out the design, cutting the pieces and drilling all the holes. And a welder works about 50% faster if they have a helper.

So... if I were you, I'd find a welder that will "work with you", preferably outside of normal shop hours. I'd figure out what material I wanted and go buy it from a supplier. I'd buy or rent a chop saw and cut all my material and drill all my holes so that all the "welder" needs to do is weld. I'd also prep every weld edge so that its clean and ready for the torch and rod.

If he will allow you to, I'd be right there with him in the shop, working, while he is putting together your stand so that you can answer any questions and help him with the setup and figuring things out.

The actual "welding" time (torch burning rod) on a brewstand isn't very much. Its all the other stuff that takes the time. And the more of it you handle yourself for the welder the less expensive its going to be and the better the chance that you get what you want will be.

Just my $0.02. Hope this helps.

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #2232
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Aright, no one shoot me please, I did search and still couldn't find a solid answer...

What is the typical cost of having a single tier brew sculpture welded together? For materials and labor.
Or, do what others and myself have done and go "weldless". Much much cheaper (~$150 in materials for a single tier, 3 station stand), easily cut the sections of strut with a metal cutoff blade, design it however you like, have the ability to change it at any time by cutting a new piece, removing a few bolts, and inserting the new piece, have all the strength in the world, have attachment points all over the place to put whatever you want on it with a nut and bolt, and build it on your own time in your garage. Only tools needed are a saw with cutoff wheel, steel file, and socket wrench. Put mine together in 30 mins after the sections were cut.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #2233
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks guys, I knew it was a pretty vague question, I just wanted a figure to budget around...

I guess I'll draw up some plans and ask some shops around here.

As far as weld less goes, I'm already spending a pretty penny on a new set up, I kind of feel like I might as well shell out a little more to do it exactly the way I want it the first time and be done with it, instead of leaving me wanting more, and spending more in the future.

Thanks for the insight guys

Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #2234
brewman !
Recipes 

As far as actual time spent welding, a welder should be able to put down 1 inch of bead per minute.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #2235
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
Or, do what others and myself have done and go "weldless". Much much cheaper (~$150 in materials for a single tier, 3 station stand), easily cut the sections of strut with a metal cutoff blade, design it however you like, have the ability to change it at any time by cutting a new piece, removing a few bolts, and inserting the new piece, have all the strength in the world, have attachment points all over the place to put whatever you want on it with a nut and bolt, and build it on your own time in your garage. Only tools needed are a saw with cutoff wheel, steel file, and socket wrench. Put mine together in 30 mins after the sections were cut.
If I was going to build a bolt together brewstand, I'd use mild steel or SS tubing and the joiner pieces of the strut kits. You could still cut the tubing with a chop saw. The only extra work would be drilling the holes for the joiner pieces.

Regular tubing would be a lot stronger than the strut and a lot easier to clean with not so many nooks and crannies.

FWIW, 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.100 wall square tubing is about $1.50 per foot.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2236
JohnnyUtah
Recipes 

Quote:

My wife works with a gal whose husband welds and fabricates. He put this rig together for me, painted it, and drilled all the holes in the kegs for $400 cash.
finished.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #2237
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

[quote=Warrior;4049930]New three tier stand hurricane burners work great on the Natural gas lines! The lowest stand is designed as a portable. I have a low pressure regulator so I can use it with a propane bottle.[/quot

Check a scrapyard for used angle iron much cheaper to use. Mine was used 2" angle iron. my pictures are on page 187 post #1870

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #2238
modenacart
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
Like MonsterMash says, it depends. In my case, the cost of labor to weld and materials (2" mild steel box tubing) was around $800. That does not include casters, burners, high temp. paint, gas plumbing, bolts, nuts or taking it back to have something added, i.e., another burner windscreen that I should have had them put on there in the first place but I never thought I would be direct firing my mashtun. For pictures and dimensions of what I had done, click my signature.
I got bed frames for free off craigslist. It is plenty strong. I bought a welder off craigslist for $50 and did the fabrication myself. It wasn't hard to learn, just takes practice.

The crappy thing about bed frames is you need to strip off all the old paint for the high temp paint to do it's thing.

I found the casters for about six dollars apiece at lowes and they are plenty strong too. So many people are over designing their stands.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #2239
Jones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It only took me 10 months to complete.
1.5" square tube and 2,000 degree paint.
It's time to finish up on the HLT and pumps.

073.jpg   072.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #2240
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Got a lot of work done on mine this weekend. Still need to add a platform at the bottom, a couple more shelves. Will probably replace the HLT burner with another Banjo.

photo.jpg  
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Quick Reply