Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #1811
barneygumble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRaygun View Post
Thanks pickles. Brewing beer was one of my assumptions. I should have been more clear and ask, how do they work? Why three kegs? Why do some have more then o e burner, others have one burner but down low?
They are for all grain brewing. One pot/cooler/keg is called a Hot Liquor Tun. It holds preheated water for mashing/sparging the grains (mashing means to convert the starches in grain to sugars and sparging means to rinse all the sugars from the grains), the second, and usually unheated one is the mashtun. That is where you see the most coolers. The mash tun is the vessel that the grains and water are mixed in and held at temperature for a period of time to convert the starches to sugars and the vessel that the grains get rinsed in. The third is the brew kettle. This is the vessel that the liquid collected from mashing is brought to a boil in and hops and flavoring additions are added to it. This makes wort. When its cooled, the wort is transferred to a fementer and yeast is added.

There are excellent resources here and links to fine tutorial sites to explain all grain brewing in more detail.

I hope you are curious and ready to venture forth!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #1812
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble

They are for all grain brewing. One pot/cooler/keg is called a Hot Liquor Tun. It holds preheated water for mashing/sparging the grains (mashing means to convert the starches in grain to sugars and sparging means to rinse all the sugars from the grains), the second, and usually unheated one is the mashtun. That is where you see the most coolers. The mash tun is the vessel that the grains and water are mixed in and held at temperature for a period of time to convert the starches to sugars and the vessel that the grains get rinsed in. The third is the brew kettle. This is the vessel that the liquid collected from mashing is brought to a boil in and hops and flavoring additions are added to it. This makes wort. When its cooled, the wort is transferred to a fementer and yeast is added.

There are excellent resources here and links to fine tutorial sites to explain all grain brewing in more detail.

I hope you are curious and ready to venture forth!
Excellent. Thank you. Now I understand why these become works of art with so much thought behind them. It's also nice to know what HLT means. I have seen this acronym used many times. So much to learn but you are dead one, this is the one stop place with all the resources. Thanks again!

Cheers!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #1813
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

BillyRaygun - I highly recommend you read the book 'How to Brew' by John Palmer. The whole volume can be found online here.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #1814
robbiex0r
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's a finished pic:

and the build thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1815
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

BillyRayGun - or check out the HBT Wiki at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...Beer_equipment

Also, you will see different configurations:

three tier - gravity feeds water from HLT to Mash to Boil to Fermenter
Two Tier - there's a pump somewhere in there, often to recirculate between Boil and Mash
One Tier - there's DEFINITELY a pump in there somewhere. Multiple ways to do it, could be Fly Sparge/Batch Sparge, could be recirc . . . but definitely uses pumps.

(three tier = three levels; two tiers = two levels; one tier = one level)

On Tap (Nitro): Chocolate Palomino - just kicked! ACK
On Tap 1: empty. . .On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: Flawed Garnet (black currant saison)
In Secondary:
In Primary:
Next up: Gold Dust Pale Ale

Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #1816
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@OneHoppyGuy - thanks for the link. I've read about this book in the forum many times. It's comes highly recommended. I guess now that it's available online, I have no choice but to have a go.

@SocialBoomer - thanks for another great link. Very cool information. Looks like I need to grab a cold pint and kick back and read.

Thanks again! Cheers!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #1817
hafmpty
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRaygun View Post
I guess now that it's available online
Buy the book from amazon.com or wherever you get your books. The online version is the first edition. He's now on his fourth. There was quite a bit of information in the first edition that has been changed and/or redacted since then. Palmer himself admits as such on the Brew Strong podcasts. He has said the source of some brewing myths and inaccurate information that continue to pop up are because of him and the online edition of How To Brew. Spend the money and get the print edition. It's definitely worth it.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #1818
BillyRaygun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafmpty

Buy the book from amazon.com or wherever you get your books. The online version is the first edition. He's now on his fourth. There was quite a bit of information in the first edition that has been changed and/or redacted since then. Palmer himself admits as such on the Brew Strong podcasts. He has said the source of some brewing myths and inaccurate information that continue to pop up are because of him and the online edition of How To Brew. Spend the money and get the print edition. It's definitely worth it.
10/4 thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #1819
GnarlyBarleyBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought I would finally add mine to this awesome thread.

img_2190.jpg   img_2193.jpg   img_2195.jpg   img_2199.jpg   rig5-001.jpg  

Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #1820
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

that looks Gnarly dude!

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Quick Reply