New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #1531
mountainman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Here is my 2x4 and 3" gold screw brew stand that I built this weekend. Wanted to build in a way that incorporated my double burner. Sturdy as all hell, wooden (I know I will catch some crap for this), and has already been tested while bringing the keg to a full boil and held for there for 20 minutes. The wood barely got warm (and if all else fails and I feel it may be a safety issue, metal flashing will be installed next to protect the wood). May cut the tall piece down (for a laptop/ingredients table, and use the double burner for the HLT and to set the MLT on. Then I can place the keg on the ground, fill, then lift up the keg to the burner when doing the boil. May get a pump and pump all of my fluid around, so no lifting... Not sure, guess I will see what I figure out. Now its time to brew some beer! I will have to post pics with it in action. Eventually, I will cut the tall part off, and make it a single tier, but I am not quite that far yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Ryan M.
Hell yeah! Looks good to me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #1532
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Here is my 2x4 and 3" gold screw brew stand that I built this weekend. Wanted to build in a way that incorporated my double burner. Sturdy as all hell, wooden (I know I will catch some crap for this), and has already been tested while bringing the keg to a full boil and held for there for 20 minutes. The wood barely got warm (and if all else fails and I feel it may be a safety issue, metal flashing will be installed next to protect the wood). May cut the tall piece down (for a laptop/ingredients table, and use the double burner for the HLT and to set the MLT on. Then I can place the keg on the ground, fill, then lift up the keg to the burner when doing the boil. May get a pump and pump all of my fluid around, so no lifting... Not sure, guess I will see what I figure out. Now its time to brew some beer! I will have to post pics with it in action. Eventually, I will cut the tall part off, and make it a single tier, but I am not quite that far yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Ryan M.
Looks good, but you will need flashing, or some kind of heat shield to protect the wood. It may not burn for the first few batches, but it will. I built a wood stand too, but I have a burner sitting on the top tier. I now have aluminum diamond plate under the top burner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #1533
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post
Looks good, but you will need flashing, or some kind of heat shield to protect the wood. It may not burn for the first few batches, but it will. I built a wood stand too, but I have a burner sitting on the top tier. I now have aluminum diamond plate under the top burner.
Only thing I can think of is to purchase some roof flashing, and wrap it around the 2x4s, encasing the top, burner side, and bottoms. Only the ones that are close to the actual burner itself. I am assuming that will be sufficient in protecting the wood pieces? I don't see it becoming an issue after that, and figured someone would chime in and confirm my idea that it may be a little extra protection. The stand is certainly not finished, I have some more work to do yet, and will look into metal of some kind to shield the 2x4's.

Anyone have any other ideas besides roof flashing for relatively inexpensive?

Thanks,
Ryan M.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #1534
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts

If you do use flashing, I'd suggest putting a couple washers under it wherever you attach it to the wood. That'll prevent the metal conducting the heat right onto the wood, except for the attachment points. I used the diamond plate because I had it. I've found that the aluminum is cool to the touch right under the burner, so it's dissipating the heat very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #1535
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was thinking of screwing it down so that there was a little space between the wood and the flashing itself, so I think I am on the right track. Washers are a great idea. Just have to find something suitable. Gotta stop by the box store sometime this week and check it out.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan M.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #1536
Demon
SlapShot Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts

The latest revision of my Brutus 20.

image-2464890706.jpg

Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #1537
Leigh
Recipes 

MoreBeer sculpture which was a present to myself. Worth every penny!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #1538
builderguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Don't think I posted ours before...sorry for the cheesy picture of me.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #1539
builderguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Let's try again

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #1540
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hate to sound like a noob, I have nearly 30 all grain batches under my belt, but I really am not understanding the need for 3 pumps. I see that a lot of these really badass rigs do in fact, have three pumps. Can someone please tell me why...thanks...wnc

Ps- I am not trying to detract from or disparage any of you three pump guys...just curious

Quick Reply