Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #1211
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Had an old entertainment center sitting in my garage so I took off the sides and one of the shelves. The setup is a Brutus 20 inspired no sparge system. Just waiting on a couple more cam lock fittings before it's ready to rock. I also secured the burner legs to the stand with u bolts for safety.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #1212
PuckeredPenguin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default The Puckered Penguin Brewery

Here is mine! Lots of thanks to all the great ideas and help from the HBT forum!!

img_1345.jpg   img_1012.jpg   img_1013.jpg   img_1018.jpg   img_1022.jpg  

Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #1213
Salmonhouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey puckard penguin, you have a build write up? I love the gas valves and those burners look like something i just have to do with my next stand. Nice build, man! Did you do the fabrication?

Im curious if that's a stainless square inset placed into a regular metal frame? My current stand has a problem keeping paint in that vicinity, and it makes me worry about rust. You have any problems like that?

Take me drunk, I'm home!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #1214
PuckeredPenguin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonhouse View Post
Hey puckard penguin, you have a build write up? I love the gas valves and those burners look like something i just have to do with my next stand. Nice build, man! Did you do the fabrication?

Im curious if that's a stainless square inset placed into a regular metal frame? My current stand has a problem keeping paint in that vicinity, and it makes me worry about rust. You have any problems like that?
House,

I really don't have a step-by-step however I did model my build after Jlandin's

He has a great breakdown of parts and descriptions

I wish I could claim the fabrication, but sadly it is not my work. I found a local welder here in jax and had him do it off of Jlandins design.

I have made some modifications to it to better suite my needs but other than that it is essentially the same.

You are correct the inserts are SS and are just sitting up off the frame with some SS nuts and bolts to minimize metal to metal contact limiting heat txfr.

As for the heat and paint issue, I painted my stand with 2000K high temp header paint and cured it best I could by turning on the burners with the kegs in place and checking the temp with an laser temp gun (cheap from Harbor Freight). However I have found after 10 or so full 10 gal brews on it the header paint just wont cut it. You would have to have it professionally powder-coated or build the top portion out of SS.

I do get rust but for now I will just deal with it. Sometime in the future I might get it re done with the correct paint/powder-coat.

The valve setup was pretty easy following Jlandin's post's, but if you have any questions Ill do my best to get you the answer or at least point you in the right directon.

Thanks for the props!!

Nick

Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #1215
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
John,
What is the tape on your kegs for? Insulation of some sort?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #1216
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckeredPenguin View Post

As for the heat and paint issue, I painted my stand with 2000K high temp header paint and cured it best I could by turning on the burners with the kegs in place and checking the temp with an laser temp gun (cheap from Harbor Freight). However I have found after 10 or so full 10 gal brews on it the header paint just wont cut it. You would have to have it professionally powder-coated or build the top portion out of SS.

I do get rust but for now I will just deal with it. Sometime in the future I might get it re done with the correct paint/powder-coat.

Nick
This is disappointing about the header paint not holding up. Is the typical black BBQ paint supposed to hold up any better?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #1217
PuckeredPenguin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You know I am not really sure, I would have to "assume" that under ideal conditions, preparation, proper curing, and dry times both paints would hold up just fine. In fact there are many on HBT who have great results with grill paint and header paint. For me personally I wanted a brewing rig and wasn't too worried on how it looked

Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #1218
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckeredPenguin View Post
You know I am not really sure, I would have to "assume" that under ideal conditions, preparation, proper curing, and dry times both paints would hold up just fine. In fact there are many on HBT who have great results with grill paint and header paint. For me personally I wanted a brewing rig and wasn't too worried on how it looked
I think this is the main point that people should focus on. If you want to the stand to look good, you will have to spend a little extra money to powder coat it or build out of Stainless. But the High temp paint has worked for alot of brewers on here and others it hasnt. My guess is there is a curing issue, but there is nothing you can really do about that.

If you are concerned with the look of the stand, the spend the extra $$$. But for most it is ultimately about functionality. I plan to paint with the 2000* block paint and if it holds up great! If not, I'll reapply whenever I feel like it needs it, or when I start to see any rust. But I am in the function over appearance class

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #1219
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input on paint. I am just wondering if I am better off using header paint or BBQ paint. Don't have the $ for SS or powder coat along with SS heat shield like diatonic.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #1220
PuckeredPenguin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If I had to make a command decision I would say go with the paint that has the highest temp rating. Then do your best to cure it as directed on the can. :-)

Hope this helps

Quick Reply