Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #1141
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Budzu,
That is a beautiful system.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #1142
wuertele
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, all these beautiful systems! I hope every submits theirs to brewbot.org's sortable table: http://brewbot.org/brewery-submission

The all-grain home brewery registry: http://brewbot.org/breweries

Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #1143
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

this is mine.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5.../beerrig-1.jpg

Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #1144
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckger View Post
Every single one on here is AWESOME! You know why.... Because they are all used to make outstanding beer!!!!

3dog,
Here is a better picture of my hop sock.

I use it whenever I add anything to the boil, hops, spices, whatever. It works great especially when brewing beers with lots of additions at different times, like an IPA. THe parts cost me about $8 at the orange box and it took about 15 to assemble, I am not sure what the long skinny hop bag costs, I got it when I bought some guys stuff off Craigslist. Every brewer needs one!
I have a question, is that a in place chiller in the boil kettle? I havent seen this on any other rig and I think I really like it. Care to explain or give pros and cons? Also, any special instructions on how to add it to a keggle? I have a newly acquired on and am looking for ideas to Bling it out...

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #1145
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Malone View Post
I have a question, is that a in place chiller in the boil kettle? I havent seen this on any other rig and I think I really like it. Care to explain or give pros and cons? Also, any special instructions on how to add it to a keggle? I have a newly acquired on and am looking for ideas to Bling it out...
Hey, my boil kettle is set up like that! (this pic doesn't show inside).

How to install in keggle:
  1. Weld two 1/2" stainless couplings in the bulkhead where you want to connect coil
  2. Bend up a coil of copper tubing
  3. Flare ends of copper tubing to connect to flared connectors inside keg
  4. Attach fittings outside keg to run cold water in the bottom, and out the top of the coil

It can make cleaning the kettle more tedious, but it sure is handy. Also, as I approach the boil there is always a little steam that escapes outside as a little water that remained in the coil flashes to steam

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Reason: s/boild/boil/

Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #1146
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's a mounted HEX coil, just like many use in their HLT. There are a million ways to skin the cat, welded, weldless, soldered...

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #1147
keithster
Recipes 

Default 3 Daughters Brewery

Here are some specs:

Natural gas via gas tube.
23 jet burners
tri-clover fittings
custom rigid stainless lines
Self designed hybrid heater/cooler coil
keyed power switch to pumps
illuminated pump switches (red = power, green = on)
28 gal kettles
prime/sampling valves on each pump "out"
1 1/2" square thick wall frame
wheels on one side, move like wheel barrel

I think that's it.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #1148
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
Hey, my boil kettle is set up like that! (this pic doesn't show inside).

How to install in keggle:
  1. Weld two 1/2" stainless couplings in the bulkhead where you want to connect coil
  2. Bend up a coil of copper tubing
  3. Flare ends of copper tubing to connect to flared connectors inside keg
  4. Attach fittings outside keg to run cold water in the bottom, and out the top of the coil

It can make cleaning the kettle more tedious, but it sure is handy. Also, as I approach the boil there is always a little steam that escapes outside as a little water that remained in the coil flashes to steam

I think I like it! As for it getting in the way while cleaning, I was thinking, maybe making one that a larger circle. So that it is much closer to the outside wall of the keggle. Recirculating Ice water through that and then also installing a whirlpool return and recirculating the wort at the same time to drop temps in a heartbeat...would that work?

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #1149
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Malone View Post
I think I like it! As for it getting in the way while cleaning, I was thinking, maybe making one that a larger circle. So that it is much closer to the outside wall of the keggle. Recirculating Ice water through that and then also installing a whirlpool return and recirculating the wort at the same time to drop temps in a heartbeat...would that work?
Yup, I do that with my immersion chiller, recirculating makes a huge difference. I'd run cold tap water through it until you get down to around 120F-110F then start the ice water, you'll melt your ice right off the bat if you use it when the wort is above 200F. Then when you get closer to pitching temps, the tap water isn't cold enough to maintain the speed at which it was dropping in the beginning, that's when you hit it with the ice water to finish it off.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #1150
keithster
Recipes 

I sued to have a coil in my boil kettle and another coil in a bucket of ice water. The tap water would run through the coil in ice water first so the water going into the boil kettle coil was chilled and the ice lasted much longer that way.

I decided that I wanted to get away from a coil in any of the kettles, chilling or recirculating, so I made the coil you see below.

The coil started with a 20' long 1 1/4" tube with a 5/8" tube set inside of it. I bent it, welded fittings on, and sealed up the "jacket" line. When the wort is recirculating it runs through the small line and my heated sparge water runs through the jacket line. When it comes time to cool the wort runs through the small line again and tap water runs through the jacket line. The hot water from the heat exchange is captured to make another batch or to clean the gear with.

It's been working great, no clogs, and flows very well. I need to get some good pics to post.

Quick Reply