Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #1031
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfuson View Post
First pic is of my first brew April 2009. The second was taken a month ago. These brew rigs grow fast.
I love the simplicity of a network rack. Is that top shelf sagging though?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #1032
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Being able to bend round steel tubing is a rare ability among DIYers. I like how it makes your rig look "lighter" and unique. Very nice!

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #1033
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Being able to bend round steel tubing is a rare ability among DIYers. I like how it makes your rig look "lighter" and unique. Very nice!
Not "rare" rather easy just the tools that cost so much.
One of these benders in 5/8" with keeping the ID at 1/2" works great, check ebay and save as MSRP is way too expensive. I paid way less for one that's in new condition I got super lucky.
http://www.toolup.com/ridgid_35170_bender-358-58-od-ratche.aspx?gclid=CL2T2biazqUCFQQ-bAod8RX2lQ

Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #1034
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Not "rare" rather easy just the tools that cost so much.
One of these benders in 5/8" with keeping the ID at 1/2" works great, check ebay and save as MSRP is way too expensive. I paid way less for one that's in new condition I got super lucky.
http://www.toolup.com/ridgid_35170_bender-358-58-od-ratche.aspx?gclid=CL2T2biazqUCFQQ-bAod8RX2lQ
I think he's talking about Pete's stand which has bent steel tubing on the corners.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #1035
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

OK, then one of these benders;http://www.mtechsupply.com/view_page.php3?getcategory=Benders&prodid=376

Even a EMT bender will work on ridgid tubing unless your rolling square tube then a roll bender with SQ dies like this works great;http://www.bii1.com/benders/roll/roll-bender-bender-rm7.php

Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #1036
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
I think he's talking about Pete's stand which has bent steel tubing on the corners.
I see, that can be bent with hand benders or a Greenlee 555 power bender, that's childs play. IBEW wireman speaking here.
I was thinking a 10" radius end of stand 180 degree bends.
Get into 4" ridgid conduit on a one shot hydraulic bender.
Ask CodeRage about pipe bending.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #1037
sullivap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My brother-in-law is a sand rail guy and he picked up a JD-Squared tubing bender and a Miller 140 mig welder over the years. He has been very generous in lending them to me from time to time. I've fabricated stuff for car projects and other things, I don't claim to be good at it but I have bumbled through enough and learned the various skills. I have a harbor freight 12 inch abrasive chop saw and a porter cable 4.5" angle grinder. I have other basic tools like a drill press and sawzall etc. etc. etc. Between all that and enough free weeknights/ends gets the job done.

The hoops of the stand are made from 1.5" x 0.95" wall welded steel tube that I got from Escondido Metal Supply. They sell it in 20 foot pieces for around $15, I'll have to dig out the invoice to know for sure. I bought 2 1.5x095 tubes and had them cut into 5 foot sections. I used the JD2 bender to make 90 degree bends in all 8 pieces with more or less 2 foot and 3 foot legs. When bending, unless your good at it or are doing a lot of pieces its difficult to get them all to have the same leg lengths so I just left slop on either side and made them all the same using my chop saw after the bend. I tacked up 4 trued 90s make the upper hoop and then did the lower. When they were more or less the same (some pounding involved) I welded them up completely. The rest of the stand is made from 1.5 x 0.75 0.062 box tubing. I setup a makeshift notcher on my drill press using some scrap stock and a bi-metal 1.5 inch hole saw. I knocked out the uprights and cross pieces using the chop saw, notcher, and angle grinder and made each piece to fit individually. I tacked them where the went and then went by and filled in the welds for real. Then I put in some time "de-uglifiing" it with a sanding pad on my angle grinder. I would not have had to do this if I actually knew how to weld and good fabricates would rightfully fire me for needing such cleanup but that's how it is. The stand is mostly straight and it is completely straight after 2 pints. The rounded corners also help when you walk into after 6 pints. The internal framing that holds the box, propane bottle, water filter, and kettle supports are made from the same 1.5x0.75 tube. I hung the burners from tabs purchased at Off Road Warehouse in Escondido. Most of what we are "inventing" for basic brew stands has been standard fare for the Off Road guys (who by the way aren't getting a lot of work in this economy and they mostly like beer so ask around, they're everywhere).

I think I may be rambling at this point. Like I said earlier:I'll get better pics when I get more details finished up, perhaps this weekend.

-Pete

Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #1038
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Warning... Off TOPIC Post BELOW....

<OffTopic>
Pete, I come from the Offroad Scene DezertRangers.com , RaceDezert.com , Dirtunited.com I built a 00 Ford Ranger doing most of the cutting, notching, and fitting myself while I let my buddy would up my cage. I did how ever build my front bumper and light rack 100% myself.

I just wish I had a drill press, chop saw, and welder my self....
my front bumper: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/flomaster/Blitz/IMGP0241.jpg
my light rack:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/flomaster/00%20ranger/DSC_2519.jpg
CabCage:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/flomaster/00%20ranger/7064b4d6.jpg
ThePig:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/flomaster/00%20ranger/IMGP1385.jpg
FlyingPig:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/flomaster/00%20ranger/DSC_1217WTMK.jpg
</OffTopic>

only if I had the tools I could build my own metal sculpture. maybe renting a welder would be the thing to do. I have a hand grinder I could use that to cut square stock, and weld it all up.

-=jason=-

Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #1039
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Cool rig especially the brand chosen.
Off topic who cares thanks for posting.
Nothing like a bumpside to go out and play;

Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #1040
mjfuson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I love the simplicity of a network rack. Is that top shelf sagging though?
I guess it looks like it in the picture. Never noticed until you said something. The shelves are held with 8 screws each so I don't think it's going anywhere. I guess it would be wise to find out the weight limitations of the rack.

Quick Reply