Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your grain storage system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #31
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcole

Yes, but I don't think they brew fine beer with silo grain. That's what they use to make Wonderbread, Twinkies, and othe animal feed.
All grain goes from combine to truck to silo and so on.
There is nothing special about beer grain.
If anything it needs less special of treatment prior to malting than grains consumed in a more original state.

Grain stored in outdoor temperature and kept dry is fine.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #32
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3278 Times on 2043 Posts
Likes Given: 2796

I've seen inside a malt distribution warehouse. Giant 2000# super-sacks sitting in a hot metal Florida warehouse. This is malt for breweries, not homebrewers.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #33
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
True, but they store the grain in a silo, then it goes into train cars, then into other silo's, then onto a ship and gets transported around the world where it goes into a silo until they are ready to ship it to the end user or someone who distributes to a supply chain that sells smaller amounts.

Storing in a shed is fine is the point. Keep it dry and the temperature is not an issue.
No argument from me. I wasn't trying to refute any point you may have been making either. Just that showing a silo in the PNW doesn't really infer that storing your brewing grain in a fridge or freezer won't help it stay fresh.

I keep my grain in the freezer because a very reputable professional brewer told me that's what he does with his homebrew grain as well. It's just a case where it's not impractical for him (or me) to do so, so we do. If you only have space in your shed, more power to ya. Whatever keeps ya brewing!

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
No argument from me. I wasn't trying to refute any point you may have been making either. Just that showing a silo in the PNW doesn't really infer that storing your brewing grain in a fridge or freezer won't help it stay fresh.

I keep my grain in the freezer because a very reputable professional brewer told me that's what he does with his homebrew grain as well. It's just a case where it's not impractical for him (or me) to do so, so we do. If you only have space in your shed, more power to ya. Whatever keeps ya brewing!
We agree.
What grain goes through before you buy it is beyond your control.
If it's actually a harvest that's over a year old and it's been stored in bulk somewhere, that's what it is.
That doesn't mean that it's not good insurance to make sure you store it in an air tight container, maybe in a freezer or not, maybe in vacuum bags if it's small amounts.
You can try and stop time for the grain in essence by sealing it. I'm not sure if freezing it helps, but if it's in an air tight container it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

The point of my post was going back to someone asking if it was OK to store their grain in a shed where it's subject to temperature swings. That is what the grain gets most of the time up until it reaches small distribution ( a full sack of grain is small distribution). I would keep it in air tight containers though.
The freezer gets less practical for most people if they have more than a couple full sacks of grain worth of stock. The best air tight container you can get is good though.
I don't stockpile any grain right now because I'm waiting on the brew store to get my mill. I will stockpile a quantity of some base malts and smaller amounts of specialty grains when I get the mill though.
I was hoping to see some amazing and cheap storage in this thread. The why didn't I think of that kind. I'm not sure what I'm going to use. I'm not even sure how much I'm going to store yet. I've got to check out how much savings there is through the brew store I go to before I decide on the amount I stockpile. I will have a fair stockpile of my favorites since it's a 3 1/2 or 4 hour round trip to the brew store for me.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

barrooze Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Go overboard much? What's wrong with the bag grain comes in?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Last edited by TNGabe; 11-30-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #36
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

mice?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
mice?
Oh, I go should spend a bunch of money on buckets and tubs! Oh wait, what's this little wooden thing with a spring on it? To each their own, I guess.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Two Homer buckets w/ lids, $10.
Knowing 50lbs of grain is safe, priceless!

People Like This 
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #39
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I don't have a mill yet and I live over an hour away from my LHBS. I have been buying a few crushed grain bills at a time and keeping them in the freezer of my beer fridge. I have an English Strong grain bill in there right now. It has been almost a month since it was crushed. Should be fine.

On another note...

Those with CO2 bottles. Have you thought about purging the bucket prior to filling with grain? Just a thought. When I get my mill, I will start keeping base malts on hand and plan to store in buckets with Gamma Lids. I was planning to give a short purge with CO2 then fill and close up the bucket. This is how 'Preppers' store grain LONG TERM.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #40
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Those of y'all who freeze crushed grain before brewing it - are you bringing it back up to room temp before mashing in, or do you just kick your strike water up a few degrees to compensate for the grain coming straight from the freezer?

Quick Reply