The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your DIY stir plate!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
DeBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Show us your DIY stir plate!

I have seen a quite a few threads popping up but have yet to see a "Show your...." thread for stir plates, so here it is.

Just finished mine today. I wanted the ability to run multiple starters at a time so this is what I came up with. It is in essence 4 stir plates controlled by 1 unit. It took maybe an hour and a half to put it all together.

Parts List:
Fan Controller $10
Fan $5
Project Box $7
Magnets $0.41 x 2
Machine Screws #10-32(I Think) 3” Home Depot $2
110AC - 12VDC Converter Wal Mart $18

First you need to mount the fan to the project box. I centered the fan on the cover and drilled four holes using the fan mounts as a pilot. Once I had the bolts installed I spun nuts down to lock them in place and then placed another set on to hold the fan up. Once the fan was sitting on the bolts I glued the magnets to the center of the fan giving them appx. a 1.5" spread.

After the fan was mounted I ran the existing three pin wires out the back so that they could plug into the controller. I used the same method for all 4.

The power supply and controller were the more complicated if you even can call it that. Wire the power supply to what would be the black and yellow pin on the controller and then extend the three pin pig tails to hang out the back of the project box so you can plug in the remote stir plates. I mounted the controller by just cutting a hole in the boc and fastening it in. As you can see I need to make a trim panel. The dremmel got a little excited....

So after it was all said and done I have about $75 -$80 in total for all 4. There are cheaper ways to do it but it fit my requirements and was a fun and easy project. Now lets see yours!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice setup! Mine is a bit less complicated and more seat of the pants. I used a new fan from MicroCenter and a plastic food storage container from Walmart. The fan is wire to a potentiometer from Radio Shack. I used a 12V transformer that I had laying around fitted to a plug from the Shack. I plan on redoing it with new controls to control the speed more accurately. The neodimium magnets are from Michael's and are epoxied to the hub of the fan.

Here is a quick pic of it in action stirring up some Wyeast American Ale II for some cider:

forumrunner_20110227_111127.jpg  

Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
DeBrewer
Recipes 

I know there are more of you out there wanting to show off your sweet build..... Let's see them!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well figured this was good enough for my first post, been reading for a while just trying to gather some info but figured i have a cheaper and easier way to do this

I used an old case fan from a computer laying around, super glued a magnet from a hard drive on the center of that, then spliced a 5v power adapter from an old cell phone charger to the fan's power, then using electrical tape and super glue i added stacks of penny's to the bottom and top the raise it off of the counter and raise the mix vessel off of the fan, i then took 7 magnets off of ex-employee name tags from where i work and use that as the stir bar, works pretty well for making it out of scrap laying around the apartment, i dont have a flask yet so i just used a vase and some water to show it off

Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

See signature...easy and fun to build

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
jyda
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I cheated and used an old computer power supply and an old hard drive magnet:

Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyda
I cheated and used an old computer power supply and an old hard drive magnet:
I just took an old power supply out a junk computer for the same exact purpose. Hahaa

Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2939 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

Cat22, ours are very similar! I control the speed on one of the legs... homegrown linear voltage regulator.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Cat22, ours are very similar! I control the speed on one of the legs... homegrown linear voltage regulator.
No, ours actually operate much differently. I'm using a standard light dimmer which is basically a PWM unit. It does not regulate the voltage. Instead, it switches the current on and off very rapidly to affect the supplied current. Completely different thing than voltage regulation and the effect is completely different as should be obvious in the video. I get much more dynamic range in the speed adjustment with this design. I attempted to demonstrate this in the video. I can run it at very slow and controllable rpm's, full speed and anywhere in between. Every DIY stir plate that I have seen appears to have very poor speed control, particularly at low rpm's. Typically, the builder will show them running at high speed with a huge vortex. I think this is because they have no alternative. Many of the demos videos are recorded with loud background music which conveniently masks their noisy stir plates.

Quick Reply