Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show me your WOOD! (structure that is) No electric, No pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
nshuey825
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Show me your WOOD! (structure that is) No electric, No pump

Hey y'all! Currently drinking my 3rd extract brew to extinction and every batch keeps getting better. Going to make the step up to all grain, but, I am going to do it right.

I am going to be building, within the next 4 months, a wood 3 tier gravity fed all grain system. Don't want to spend the money on the pump if gravity can do the work, propane easier with burners than going all electric for me right now, and I know my way around wood, not steel.

Show me some of your systems that are wood based so I can get some ideas, I will be uploading and sharing progress after I decide, which hopefully will result in a Lowes/H.D. run this weekend.

By the way, currently in the process of getting 2 kegs for free and converting to keggles. Figure I would use one for a MLT and one for Boil Kettle with a converted Cooler for the MLT until I can aquire another free Keg.

Thanks yinz guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
TheBeerNerd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm building mine this week, will post up pics when ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just about finished mine this weekend. I'll take some pics and post them up.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
dmbeck2
Recipes 

Just recently added the pump to this one, but it isn't necessary. I just use it for recirculation / whirlpooling during the cooling process. One of the good things about wood is that it is easy to modify / add on to whenever you would like to.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
notrealdan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck2 View Post

Just recently added the pump to this one, but it isn't necessary. I just use it for recirculation / whirlpooling during the cooling process. One of the good things about wood is that it is easy to modify / add on to whenever you would like to.
This looks really nice. I've always thought about building something like this, but I wasn't sure how concerned I should be about the propane burners being that close to the wood. I don't think the wood underneath the burners is a problem, but what about the wood structure to the right of your boil kettle's burner? Is it far enough away that the heat that reaches the wood is minimal?

I'm in the middle of building a keezer right now (I'll start a build thread when I'm done, or mostly done), but when that's finished I'm going to put serious thought into building something like this.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's my 2-tier. I used some aluminum sheets to insulate the wood from the burners, but it ended up being redundant since the aluminum doesn't even get warm.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
TheBeerNerd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have some spare Hardibacker lying around that i'm going to use to fireproof mine... don't want to burn down the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
nshuey825
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck2 View Post

This looks sweet! Great job! This is kind of what I am thinking currently, I like the wood idea because of it would be easy to modify down the line, opposed to welding. No extra $ for a pump right now, but do plan on purchasing one down the line.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Hockyplr
Recipes 

Mine is in the following thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brew-sculpture-227322/

Brewed a batch this weekend and it worked perfectly!

I will be finishing it with some stain and other things to "pimp" out my brew stand. But this thread will show you a lot of pictures of the build.

My WOOD Brew Stand Build

On Tap: Oktoberfest, German Hefe, Helles, Bucket Head Ale, Blue Line Barley Wine, Amber Ale.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This one is all wood, but probably not what you were looking for!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply