Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #411
Jackle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice and yes, my back is killing me. That was the whole point of the gravity system! I'm installing a faucet off my hot water heater in the garage before my next batch, should make cleanup and everything else easy too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #412
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Here's the wooden single tier I'm building. It's almost done in this pic. Need to finish the work table part on the end and plumb the water and electric still. Just haven't had time to finish...

Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #413
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
Here's the wooden single tier I'm building. It's almost done in this pic. Need to finish the work table part on the end and plumb the water and electric still. Just haven't had time to finish...
Quick question on plate chillers, I see you have one mounted. Do you pump from boil kettle through the chiller and straight into your fermenter or do you recirculate the wort the through the chiller back into the kettle until the temp drops enough? One pas through the chiller or multiple? Depends on the water temp I guess?
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #414
Gitmoe
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
Quick question on plate chillers, I see you have one mounted. Do you pump from boil kettle through the chiller and straight into your fermenter or do you recirculate the wort the through the chiller back into the kettle until the temp drops enough? One pas through the chiller or multiple? Depends on the water temp I guess?
I'm adding a recirculation/whirlpool port on the boil kettle. The wort will be pumped through the chiller and back into the boil kettle until the temperature is dropped far enough. Honestly I haven't used that Therminator yet to pass on first hand experience. I was previously using an immersion chiller in my old setup. I've seen people on youtube pass through the Therminator once and drop the temp to around 60 degrees with cold enough counterflow water. It's a beast of a chiller.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #415
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmoe

I'm adding a recirculation/whirlpool port on the boil kettle. The wort will be pumped through the chiller and back into the boil kettle until the temperature is dropped far enough. Honestly I haven't used that Therminator yet to pass on first hand experience. I was previously using an immersion chiller in my old setup. I've seen people on youtube pass through the Therminator once and drop the temp to around 60 degrees with cold enough counterflow water. It's a beast of a chiller.
Yeah I've heard great things about the Shirron one in particular but they all seem to be a step up from immersion. I am using a keggle right now and trying to decide the best way to whirlpool and transfer. Right now I have a dip tube in the middle that drains it all no problem but all the break and hops go too. I've been moving to secondary after a week... Not to open another topic...
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #416
rangrr4834
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

forumrunner_20130204_084643.png

Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #417
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangrr4834 View Post
Very nice! 4x4's and lag bolts? you could park a car on that thing!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #418
Jackle
Recipes 

Hey, ours are pretty similar! Question, do you have some sort of heat barrier b/t the bottom brew kettle and post for the mash tun? I've only brewed one batch and did my boil on the garage floor b/c I didn't want to torch the front legs. Thinking of getting some stainless steel sheets.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #419
rangrr4834
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackle View Post
Hey, ours are pretty similar! Question, do you have some sort of heat barrier b/t the bottom brew kettle and post for the mash tun? I've only brewed one batch and did my boil on the garage floor b/c I didn't want to torch the front legs. Thinking of getting some stainless steel sheets.
I did eventually wind up putting a thin layer of cement board (durock) against the lower tier (and also the top tier as a precaution) just as a safeguard to prevent the same issue you are concerned about. However, I will state that my sculpture (as built) did not have any evidence of charring, burns, or anything that would lead me to worry about a fire except the fact that I had a burner lower that wood that was nearby. The durock and screws were fairly cheap so it wasn't a big deal and gave me piece of mind. I have since plumbed the whole sculpture for propane and also filtered water to help with ease when brewing.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #420
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Very nice just what I'm looking for thanks.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer

Cranky Bastard Brewing

Quick Reply