The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #401
itzkramer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made it. Home depot only sells 50' or 60'. The 50' is $50.00. The 60' is $100.00!
I wanted at least 60' so I bought 2 50's and spliced them together with a compression fitting to make a 75'.

I used the leftovers to make a whirlpool section and 3 vertical supports tied on with copper wire.

If I did it again I would have soldered the tubing splice.

BEER:30 Brewing
Cleveland, OH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #402
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

After a few years working with the scrap wood tiered system, I finally was gifted some gift certificates for my local HB shop. I decided to pick up a pump and it was all downhill from there.

Now being the cheap b*sturd that I am, I decided to use the extra/scrap wood I had sitting around the garage. 2 days worth of work and below is my new single-tier system:

The heat shields are built out of old metal shelves that were in the attic when I bought the house. I did have to spend $2 on some L brackets to make sure the shelves stay upright, but the rest cost me nothing (other than the pump). I brewed a batch of Irish red 2 weeks ago and it performed flawlessly. I just have to coat it with some paint (for looks only) and figure where I want to secure the surge protector that serves as my pump switch.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #403
rwagner23
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I built a modular system. For easy storage as well as being able to wheel the boil kettle over to my outlet so that I can drain beer from the garage to the basement.

All set up:

Nicely stored away:

Keg Aging:
Bottles:Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Irish Red, Clone's Amber Ale

Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #404
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagner23
I built a modular system. For easy storage as well as being able to wheel the boil kettle over to my outlet so that I can drain beer from the garage to the basement.

All set up:

Nicely stored away:
This looks a lot like my setup but is modular.

Drain the boil kettle from the garage to basement?! Brilliant! You have to post a pic of that! You should put an aerator inline so while the wort flows to the basement it is aerated on the way.
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #405
rwagner23
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
You should put an aerator inline so while the wort flows to the basement it is aerated on the way.
Challenge accepted!
Keg Aging:
Bottles:Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Irish Red, Clone's Amber Ale
People Like This 
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #406
Ppeg34
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a potential setup for a poor man's electric build:

Step one: cut pallet in half
Step two: put kegs on pallet

Simple as that and I haven't seen this done. It seems like it would be a tight squeeze but nothing beats free

Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #407
Mcbobs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
After a few years working with the scrap wood tiered system, I finally was gifted some gift certificates for my local HB shop. I decided to pick up a pump and it was all downhill from there.

Now being the cheap b*sturd that I am, I decided to use the extra/scrap wood I had sitting around the garage. 2 days worth of work and below is my new single-tier system:
Just out of curiosity, why do you have your pump running from the lauter tun to the boil kettle? I'm bored at work and for some odd reason, it's bugging me! I've gotta know!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #408
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's mine.

2013-01-19-10.43.42.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #409
Jackle
Recipes 

Well here's my first post to the forum. I've been brewing mead and beer kits for a few years and finally took the plunge to go all grain. My brothers and I built this and I did the measurements specific to my equipment, so the "all gravity" works great. Did my first batch last night and all went well til the water hose froze up during the last 15 min of boil so I had nothing to hook my chiller to. Nothing like hauling a huge pot of boiling hot wort up stairs thru the house!

image-3988921736.jpg

Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #410
JimCharb
Newby OldFart
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Jackle...

Dunno where you're at, but if it's cold enough to freeze your water line, just leave the pot out in the coooooold air to chill...snowbank works too! It's what I gotta do in northern Minnesota if I want to do a full boil. Hauling 5 Gals of HOT wort (40#) plus weight of the kettle = disaster waiting to happen!! I did it (hauled wort to kitchen in winter) a couple of times b4 deciding to use Mama Nature to chill in winter. MUCH easier on the back too.

Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackle View Post
Well here's my first post to the forum. I've been brewing mead and beer kits for a few years and finally took the plunge to go all grain. My brothers and I built this and I did the measurements specific to my equipment, so the "all gravity" works great. Did my first batch last night and all went well til the water hose froze up during the last 15 min of boil so I had nothing to hook my chiller to. Nothing like hauling a huge pot of boiling hot wort up stairs thru the house!

Attachment 98276

Quick Reply