The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > show me your homemade bulkhead fittings!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Huizer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default show me your homemade bulkhead fittings!

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking for months and decided to join. Anyways, I recently became the owner of 2 kegs, one stainless and one aluminum and am in the process of converting them on the "ultra cheap". So I am just wondering what kind of hardware store miracles you guys have put together to create your own bulkhead fittings. Lets see your creations!

Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dan
It's hard to beat pre assembled tried and true kits from places like http://www.greatbargain.net/order/index.html
I know this is a DIY forum but I pressed the easy button. Most hardware stores will not have exactly the sized nipple washer etc that you are looking for. By all means take a look at his kits and use it as a guide.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Yeah man. I built a bulkhead for my MLT cooler conversion and even though I now know how to make one, I'll never make one myself again. You can buy it from a place like bargain fittings for roughly the same price without the headache of making it yourself.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
NoisufnoC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
Dan
It's hard to beat pre assembled tried and true kits from places like http://www.greatbargain.net/order/index.html
I know this is a DIY forum but I pressed the easy button. Most hardware stores will not have exactly the sized nipple washer etc that you are looking for. By all means take a look at his kits and use it as a guide.
Oooh! Thanks for the link. I've been searching for weldless fittings.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the challenge of DIYing. I'm building a MLT in a square cooler right now with ideas from these forums. I found all of the parts to build my own bulkhead for about the same price as the greatbargains.com site mentioned above. The only thing I can't figure out is a good way to connect the 1/2" copper pipe of the manifold to the bulkhead on the inside of the cooler. I want something that can be disconnected easily in order to clean it. How have others done this? TIA.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can use either a compression fitting or a "union".

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I used a copper 1/2" threaded to sweat fitting, but I did not sweat it, it fits in ok. You could sweat it as long as you can rotate it freely. bargain fittings sells a pre-made one but that's simple hardware store parts.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
I used a copper 1/2" threaded to sweat fitting, but I did not sweat it, it fits in ok. You could sweat it as long as you can rotate it freely. bargain fittings sells a pre-made one but that's simple hardware store parts.
Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. I was looking for exactly this piece at my local Home Depot. They did not have it (or at least I didn't find it after looking for an hour. I'll try another hardware store today. Thanks for letting me know that such a piece exists.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I used the 1/2 threaded to sweat fitting as well - and an electric conduit 1/2" locknut on the other end (no fluid contact). Found a pack of nice fat o-rings in the faucet repair section. 2 brews in and no problems.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Sakkieg
Recipes 

I used straight compression fittings. Just remove the olive ring and cut the lip of the compression nut. Add silicone and stainless washers for the modified side and that's that. total cost per fitting R16.00 ZAR converted to dollars $2.10

Quick Reply