Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Should I put a thermometer in my Cooler MLT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Anubis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I put a thermometer in my Cooler MLT?

Just finishing my 5 gal cooler MLT. I went all out and built a copper manifold and rotating sparge arm (full pics, specs, and DIY info to come) but I was wondering, should/could I drill a hole and install a thermometer. I think it would be nice to be ale to check temp w/out opening the lid.

So I was going to... Drill hole at center of MLT. Insert thermometer stem. Seal with orings, etc. Bend stem down at 90 degrees.

With proper stirring when mashing in and consistant fly sparging can I assume I have no hot spots and trust my thermo readings?

Has anyone else done this on their cooler mlt? Results?

GALLONS BREWED IN 2011 : 35
BUCKET 1 : Citra IPA 3
BUCKET 2 : Centenial Blonde
CARBOY 1 : Citrillo IPA
CARBOY 2 : Apfelwein
CARBOY 3 : Psyder test001
CARBOY 4 : empty
CARBOY 5 : Hopsplode
KEG 1 : Palefoot APA
KEG 2 : empty
KEG 3 : Star San
BOTTLED : Nothin'
BUILT: MLT W/Copper Manifold & Rotating Sparge Arm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I think bending the stem of the thermometer will ruin it. I am not using a cooler for an MT, so I can't advise on the best approach for a thermometer installation, but it would be good to have one I would think.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
aphid_rancher
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 3 gallon cooler for an MLT and there was a convenient vent hole with a rubber plug I removed and I use to insert my thermometer with a 12" stem. When I stir there is nothing on the side to knock into and putting a hole in the lid does not risk a leak. I would most definitely not bend your thermometer unless you hate it and want to buy a new one. The thermometer is reassuring but the more I brew and get to know my equipment the less I look at it.

Quick Reply