Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Should I move my MLT Output to the bottom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Eigenmusic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I move my MLT Output to the bottom?

I have a 50-quart "cube" stye MLT that did not come with a spigot, so I drilled a hole where it /should/ have been (based on a dip on the inside surface) and stuck my CPVC in with liberal use of PTFE tape, a homemade PET washer on the inside and a thick coating of JB Weld on the outside. I use a mesh hose made from aluminum screen rolled up and held with aluminum cable ties (holds up very nicely and is pretty much disposable, since it costs $0.50 to make a new one).

Now, my question is... I'm suffering from a massive amount of dead space; Wouldn't it be better to cover that hole and redo it so that my output hole is on the bottom? That could seriously kill any and all dead space, especially if I just cover the hole with, like, a balloon of overlapped aluminum screen (imagine a turkey baster bulb sticking out of a kitchen sink drain, only made of screen mesh). I'm sure a different shape would make stirring safer (for the mesh), but I don't know what shape I could make with this stuff.

I'm fairly certain that a false bottom, while it would be the best answer, is pretty much abhorently difficult to put into one of these. Maybe a mesh tray of some sort, screwed to the walls? I tried that for a planter once, and it worked, but eventually gave out and one side ripped out (the screen, not the screws). I'm just rambling at this point, someone take it from here!

Bottled: #5-Cascade APA - OG 1.054 (2010-01-05 -> 2010-02-02), #4-Mega Chocolate Stout - OG 1.065 (2009-10-15 -> 2009-11-11), #2-Fresnos Tripel - OG 1.080ish (2009-08-18 -> 2009-09-30)
Dumped: #0-Improper Honey Infested Wheat
Consumed: #1-Proper Infested Wheat (bottled 08/04/2009), #3-Vanilla Porter - OG 1.062 (09/20/2009 -> 10/07/2009)
Infested Wheat: Hefeweizen made from the last, dusty bag of whole wheat from the old feed store 30 miles away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you can I think bottom drains are great. I converted my boil kettle to have a bottom drain and now I don't have any deadspace there and I can even squeeze the hops with a sanitized spoon to get out the last of the wort from them (important with huge IPAs). It is an electric kettle though so I don't have to worry about protecting it from flame. As far as a MLT I think it could work rather well depending on how it is constructed. If you are still going to use a braid you'll have to figure out how to transition from vertical to horizontal, but you won't have to worry about siphon issues anymore.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply