Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Shed to Eco-Friendly Brewhaus Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #21
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Maybe a big screen tv...62 inch HD LCD will work...surround sound and the Stanley Cup Finals.
This sounds awesome, but I would not leave that stuff out in a shed that be broke into in about 3 minutes while you're alseep in the house how faraway from the shed? I wouldn't even keep my dirtbike in the shed.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #22
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyanPan View Post
I would be really worried about tearing up blades putting pallet wood through it. It's inevitable you'll miss a staple or nail once in a while and whack it with the planer.

Do you have a saw mill near by? Ever looked at slab wood? It's not exactly recycled but sometimes it can be had for very cheap (or even free) and I think it looks really neat. Maybe not for flooring because it can be pretty uneven, but for siding or walls it can be really cool.

It would be worth it to purchase a cheap metal detector to scan the pieces of lumber before running through the planer. I think the planer is the best bet. It would leave a decent finish and would save you lots of time. It would also help with make all pieces the same thickness. You would be much happier with the end result than you would if you had to sand each piece.

What are you going to do as far as the joints? Are you going to joint each board so you get a good tight fit or are you just going to nail them down and leave the gaps there? If you are going to leave the caps will you will them with anything before applying a finish to the flooring?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrew09 View Post
The shed is built on a hillside, and is at ground level in the front and at the backside, it sits about 18 inches off the ground.
Sounds like a perfect situation to add plumbing - I'm thinking a rain barrel for chilling water, and a collecting barrel for hot water/rinse water (which can later be used added to the rain barrel). You could also put in a french drain to handle your washwater - the solids which can go to compost. A few feet of PVC, Couple of cheap submersible sump pumps and you'd be in business....
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #24
NewBrew09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John View Post
Sounds like a perfect situation to add plumbing - I'm thinking a rain barrel for chilling water, and a collecting barrel for hot water/rinse water (which can later be used added to the rain barrel). You could also put in a french drain to handle your washwater - the solids which can go to compost. A few feet of PVC, Couple of cheap submersible sump pumps and you'd be in business....
I never thought of that, I was just going to run a hose to the shed on brewdays...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #25
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrew09 View Post
I never thought of that, I was just going to run a hose to the shed on brewdays...
well, you'll still need water for brewing, and cleaning, but why not make use of the water that doesn't need to be crystal clean if you get my drift. If you set it up right, you'll have plenty left over from the last brew day, plus any rain from the shed roof (meaning install gutters)

Which brings me to my next idea... install a rough filter on the rainwater collection... keeps the leaves and sticks out which don't travel through CFC chillers so well.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #26
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Don't forget the "Before" pictures!

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Find out why your floor rotted away...moisture or TERMITES. If termites then pressure treated floor or lots of chemicals will have to go down before the plywood. Do you know how to check for termites? Good luck on this project.

Secondary IPA, Brown ale
Primary
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel, Evil Twin

Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

you should see if your buddy the contractor has access to an old or unused deep sink... If you plumb the shed like you would your home, then add a hose fitting inside the door for your supply hook up, all you do is stretch the hose and your good.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
NewBrew09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Find out why your floor rotted away...moisture or TERMITES. If termites then pressure treated floor or lots of chemicals will have to go down before the plywood. Do you know how to check for termites? Good luck on this project.
I have checked for termites and didnt see any evidence of them. There is really only 1 beam that "rotted" away, and it really didnt even rot. When I went under the shed to inspect, the beam was broken at a knot in the wood, and its right behind the door beam where all the heavy lawn equipment (lawntractor, tiller) was driven in and out of the shed. I plan on replacing this beam and load testing the rest.

The only evidence of rotted wood I saw was in the roof, and that is definately from moisture, as there is the white cob-webby mold all over the plywood in the roof. The rafters look fine, but when i rip the plywood off the roof, i will be inspecting the rafters and trusses for evidence of rotting or termites. I doubt there is termites in the shed, as we have been blessed not to have them on the property at all, besides my property is surrounded on 3 sides be woods that should give them plenty to eat. We also treat the house and all outlaying buildings once a year to keep them away.

I do want to replace the wood that they used at "stilts" on the back side of the shed with cinder blocks or concrete support beams to eliminate a chance of the wood rotting thru and having the back end of the building collapse.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #30
NewBrew09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John View Post
you should see if your buddy the contractor has access to an old or unused deep sink... If you plumb the shed like you would your home, then add a hose fitting inside the door for your supply hook up, all you do is stretch the hose and your good.
If I put in plumbing, i will just tap into my wellhouse and run PVC right to the shed and plumb it like a house for my brew water. I do like the idea of the rain water for the cleaning and cooling tasks though. I could run a coil of copper pipe inside the cooler room to really chill the rain water as it goes to the wort chiller. I could also get one of those tankless hot water heaters to heat up the wash water.....hmmm so many possiblities. Thanks for all the ideas...

Quick Reply