Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Separate HERMS HEX Build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #31
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 612
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWeezel View Post
So out of curiosity, why are you doing a coil of ss? I mean if your going to weld the tubing in place why not just do vertical tubes with u joints linking them in a chain?
Copper would work and that's what some people use. I have it in my HLT now. I'm using ss for the durability, chemical resistance and cool factor. I think the ss makes it look a little more professional and I wouldn't really want to weld the copper to the ss keg anyway.

I'm using a coil in and out the sides for drainability and to not make a bubble trap. If you believe in HSA or not, why not try to avoid it. As for the linked up sticks with street elbows, it would trap more liquid and I believe somebody here tried it for a chiller in PVC and reported back it didn't work well at all.
__________________
Bigscience is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #32
MadWeezel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clive, Ia
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
Copper would work and that's what some people use. I have it in my HLT now. I'm using ss for the durability, chemical resistance and cool factor. I think the ss makes it look a little more professional and I wouldn't really want to weld the copper to the ss keg anyway.

I'm using a coil in and out the sides for drainability and to not make a bubble trap. If you believe in HSA or not, why not try to avoid it. As for the linked up sticks with street elbows, it would trap more liquid and I believe somebody here tried it for a chiller in PVC and reported back it didn't work well at all.
I dont think you can weld SS to copper anyways. You could always go with a shell and tube design too.
__________________
MadWeezel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #33
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 612
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default O-Ring/Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
Yep, that half coupling will work just fine. I bought one last week for my new HLT. I am considering replacing the black rubber seal that came with the element with a high-temp silicone o-ring though.
Did you ever end up replacing the black rubber seal that came with the element with a high-temp silicone o-ring? I'm looking to do the same thing but the ones I've seen are round and usually intended for the weldless locknuts. Let me know if you find one that works.

As for an update, I received all my components and now all I need to do is get together with the machine shop to start the build.
__________________
Bigscience is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #34
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,014
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWeezel View Post
I dont think you can weld SS to copper anyways. You could always go with a shell and tube design too.
Yes you can weld SS to Copper. You want to use the SS filler for the job.
__________________
GreenMonti is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #35
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 714
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
Did you ever end up replacing the black rubber seal that came with the element with a high-temp silicone o-ring? I'm looking to do the same thing but the ones I've seen are round and usually intended for the weldless locknuts. Let me know if you find one that works.

As for an update, I received all my components and now all I need to do is get together with the machine shop to start the build.
I'm placing an order with McMaster in the next couple of days for a bunch of little stuff I need to finish off my build. I'll let you know if I succeed .
__________________

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

diatonic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #36
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: an island, inside an atoll
Posts: 3,503
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonti View Post
Yes you can weld SS to Copper. You want to use the SS filler for the job.
I asked that question over 3 years ago on the miller welds forum and a NASA looking photo was posted with copper tube with a copper end cap.

Check this below Miller thread of a person looking for a Tig welder, check "egbob" reply number 5 with his 3 photos you'll understand his work as well why I like this Miller forum.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=20819
__________________

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........


Last edited by BrewBeemer; 02-25-2010 at 03:38 AM.
BrewBeemer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #37
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 612
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Haters, Reconize

After many weeks of anticipation, I got the completed heat exchanger back from the welder. I think it is one of the coolest things I’ve seen.

Some things that ended up different than my design are: Coil Diameter is smaller and therefore takes up more height in the chamber and make a taller chamber necessary, RTD port is on the side to not be too close to the element.

I hope to do some leak and maybe some ramp testing on it this weekend. I probably won’t brew with it until I can get the set points and RTD positioning figured out though.

For all non-believers that said it couldn’t be built, here are some shiny picts.








Here you can see the tip of the RDT sticking out:


Here is the lid:


Element:


RTD Port:


Lower coil enry point:


So my question now is, do I configure the out flow vertical like this:


Or horizontal like this:


I think I need a way to ensure all air is purged and there is no bubble trap while still being able to completely drain the line for storage.

__________________
Bigscience is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #38
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: an island, inside an atoll
Posts: 3,503
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWeezel View Post
I dont think you can weld SS to copper anyways.
Yes you can.
__________________

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

BrewBeemer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #39
KVP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Abingdon, Maryland
Posts: 65
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Way to go Bigscience,
So I'm in the process of doing a similar HEX.
Where you able to get the 1/2 inch stainless in a coil or did you go with 3/8?
I've been looking for a 1/2 inch stainless chiller but have not found one yet.

Thanks, Kevin

__________________

Kevin
www.kvpbrewing.com

KVP is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #40
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 612
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVP View Post
Way to go Bigscience,
So I'm in the process of doing a similar HEX.
Where you able to get the 1/2 inch stainless in a coil or did you go with 3/8?
I've been looking for a 1/2 inch stainless chiller but have not found one yet.

Thanks, Kevin
That's 1/2 in there. I got it from here as a big coil not a chiller:

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/products/tubing-steel.php
__________________
Bigscience is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My HERMS Build Gumbys_Brew DIY Projects 7 01-02-2014 04:17 PM
HERMS Build Advice rockytoptim Equipment/Sanitation 14 01-17-2010 08:39 PM
HERMS Build Plan EuBrew DIY Projects 2 08-06-2009 02:58 PM
HERMS build paledragon DIY Projects 12 07-13-2009 02:06 AM
Where might one buy or build a HERMS? Thor Equipment/Sanitation 18 01-22-2006 04:47 PM