Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Self soldered bulkheads for cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Self soldered bulkheads for cooler

In the spirit of the soldering stainless steel thread, I want to make bulkheads for my cooler mlt and hlt. In the beginning of that thread, there is washer soldered on the hex nipple. I want to do something similar, but for a cooler. Could I just use a 1/2" NPT stainless nipple 1.5" long, a 1/2" stainless lock nut, and a 1.2" stainless washer and make my own that is longer for a cooler? I am thinking the soldered piece would go inside the cooler, and the screw the ball valve on the outside with the standard washer stack. I would be able to tighten things down much easier I would imagine this way. The only thing is would I set the nut where it would be length wise and solder it, then place the washer on and solder that again? Or do it in one step somehow?

Anyways, just floating ideas. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

yes you can.

do it and document it for all to see.

-=Jason=-

Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1035 Times on 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin
[...]The only thing is would I set the nut where it would be length wise and solder it, then place the washer on and solder that again? Or do it in one step somehow?[...]
Because of their tight proximity, you'd want to solder the nut and washer to the nipple in one shot to assure a solid, non-crystalized joint...

Cheers!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It might be easier to solder a washer to whatever fitting you plan to use on the interior. A nut would be unnecessary in that case.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It might be easier to solder a washer to whatever fitting you plan to use on the interior. A nut would be unnecessary in that case.
This is a good idea. I'm ordering parts probably next week, I will give it all a shot and see what happens. Soldered bulkheads for coolers would be nice with the extra length. The reason I want the nut is to be able to put a wrench on it and screw the inside fitting and ball valve on nice and night without having to use a bench vise or something to hold the pipe to thread the fittings on.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I made up a few 2" nipples with a washer soldered to one end at the thread/flat junction. The benefit here is that the seal is made without regard to whatever interior fitting you use.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
milesvdustin
Recipes 

How did you get the washer to stay put while soldering it? And with this method, is it going to be flux, heat, then apply solder?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

The washers I used were small enough that they didn't pass onto the largest part of the nipple. The solder joint is right at the edge of the flat/threads. I just flux the joint, put a loop of solder in that area and heat the nipple from underneath until the solder flows.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply