New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sealant Acceptable for HLT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Sealant Acceptable for HLT?

I've got a cooler which i intend on using as my HLT. It was a quick & dirty fabrication, and the valve thru the wall leaks a little. I've got the outside sealed up with this sealant, but i was hoping someone had any info on whether it could be used on the *inside* of the tank, too:

Bath & Kitchen Silicone II

Although it'll only see barely boiling water, i don't want any toxins leeched out.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well from what I see it should work. But nowhere does it say its food safe. If anything bad does get in there it will go through a boil but I don't know if that will fix the problem.

I think the best thing to do would be go get some rubber o-rings and put them against the wall between the washers and the cooler. That should fix the issue.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure about your HLT, but when I built my MLT, out of a cooler, I bought a high temp, two part epoxy, to fill in around the valve assembly that replaced the drain valve. You might want to look at something like that instead. I can't remember the heat level, but it was well over the boiling point. Something like 300*. I just got it at the local hardware store.

Good luck

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I bought some food grade silcone from McMaster when I had to seel a old thermometer hole in my cooler mashtun. The part number is 7545A471

(102, 103, 108, & 109) Multipurpose— Use for sealing, bonding, and gasketing. Won't run on overhead and vertical surfaces. Adhere to metal, glass, wood, silicone resin, vulcanized silicone rubber, ceramics, natural and synthetic fiber, and plastics. Begin to harden in 20 minutes. Temp. range is -75° to +400° F. Meet MIL-A-46106B, Group I, Type I. FDA compliant and USDA approved. NSF-51 certified for use with food equipment materials. UL recognized.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Quick Reply