The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sculpture design advice, any good threads?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
rpe290
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Sculpture design advice, any good threads?

Looking to make a sculpture of some kind, I am torn between a 3 tier and something like a MoreBeer 1550 2 tier with pump. I think I kind of like the simplicity of gravity feed, and I think I could design one of those that would store with a pretty small footprint (compared to a big box structure of 2 tier).

I don't really have limitations on fabrication -- I know where to buy plenty of stock, can get SS sheet pretty cheap, full knowledge and access to welders, manual machine shop and 3D modeling software.

I did plan on buying a pump eventually anyway, but not sure about 2...although if I had unlimited floor space I would likely thing a single tier sounds easy to use and make too...but that seems to be awful big.

Anyway, I am sure it has been talked about before, but the search is not so good IMO, and was curious if there are any good links to some kind of conversation like this, with pros and cons?

Thanks in advance...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
whatdyisit
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is a real nice 2 tier stand.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-rig-105047/
It's not any less floor space than a single tier but you can fly sparge with one one pump. Keep in mind you can batch sparge with one pump on a single tier also if you are trying to save money on a pump. I'm still working on my all-grain setup so I don't have any personal experience, but I can't imagine having to use ladders to brew. Seems incredibly inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post
I think Pliny is the anal sex of beer.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdyisit View Post
Here is a real nice 2 tier stand.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-rig-105047/
It's not any less floor space than a single tier but you can fly sparge with one one pump. Keep in mind you can batch sparge with one pump on a single tier also if you are trying to save money on a pump. I'm still working on my all-grain setup so I don't have any personal experience, but I can't imagine having to use ladders to brew. Seems incredibly inconvenient.
That is an interesting design too, I really have only batch sparged--really don't have an attraction to fly sparge, since it seems like a lot more moving pieces and water levels...so I would likely batch sparge on any system I make regardless.

So I guess the other thing I'm thinking, since I have never used a pump, is that it seems to be another thing to figure out...maybe simplicity of gravity feed sounds better at the moment, but really isn't?

Forgot to mention in previous post, currently have a keggle, 10 gallon boil kettle (either one could be BK or HLT) and a 10 gallon igloo cooler MLT.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 70

What you could do is just troll through the DIY section and look for some high rated sculpture/brewery builds or the like.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you have the space to store it and a pump, go single tier. It is so nice to have it all at working level. I had a folding three tier stand that was great for its ability to be stowed in a 22"x22" space, but I much prefer the ease of use of my single to. Pumps are much quicker than gravity, too. Finally, you can gravity feed into a bucket and transfer in the rare situation when your pump craps out on you. See my gallery in my signature to see the evolution of my stands. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
whatdyisit
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
See my gallery in my signature to see the evolution of my stands. Good luck.
Broken link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post
I think Pliny is the anal sex of beer.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdyisit View Post
Broken link.
Same here, but dcbc, i would really like to look, and thanks for the comparison of 3 tier/compact storage to single tier and a little bigger...I am going to have to set out to check on how I can store it and what makes sense.

I would definitely think a single tier USAGE is easier/better, but its the space, unfortunately I only have a 2 car garage and no outbuilding...

So I see 22" x 22" as a footprint # for a 3 tier, I assume a single tier would be more like 22" x 66" or so?

Will have to take a tape measure to the garage then...

Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Take a look at this two tier design. I built one very similar. For my needs it stores better than a single tier, it only requires one pump, and it is easy to work with. I am very happy with it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-ti...-build-327480/

Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDogShelby View Post
Take a look at this two tier design. I built one very similar. For my needs it stores better than a single tier, it only requires one pump, and it is easy to work with. I am very happy with it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-ti...-build-327480/
That is a different approach than I had seen before, thanks! Will have to see how I could hide that one...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Go all electric and then you can build a single tier in your basement (if you have a basement). As for the searching, not sure what terms your using but if you type in "brew stand rig", you should be able to find a ton of posts. If that doesn't work go to google and just type in "site:homebrewtalk.com brew stand rig" you'll find ton of results.

Quick Reply