Sanyo 4912 Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The details and pics make this seem like a relatively easy project. Thanks for taking the time. Just a quick question, though... Is there any type of concern about the draft tower and the lines running through it in terms of staying cold. Does the fridge put out enogh juice to keep them cool enough?

You can find others who have a small fan inside theirs to help stir the air and keep the draft tower cooler - I didn't do that and really don't know how much it would help. Right now, my kegerator is out in my unisulated garage (is South GA) and is doing just fine. The first draw might be a touch warmer from the uninsulated tower but I've never really noticed.

I've actually done several further modifications to the kegerator since I wrote this. I just completely got rid of the old thermostat, light fixture, and wiring to make more room. I'm pretty sure I took some photos when I did it but never updated this write-up. I'll see if I can add that here in the next few days...

JohnBeere,
Did you have to wire your Ranco yourself?I got an unwired one and am desparate to use it but can't figure the damn thing out.Any tips would be greatly appreciated.Now i wish i'd have spent the extra $ to get a prewired one:( .
Cheers:mug:

I'll promised to write up how to wire a ranco back when I did the walk-in cooler but never did... I'll see if I can do it this weekend, or at least post a link to someone else that has.

My space requirements are such that a mini fridge is the only availible option.

So my choices are spending $699 from Sears on the Kenmore (must be ordered), or $399 for an Avanti floor model from my local Best Buy (in stock), then $55 on a temp controller (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26.html) to keep the beer from freezing.

What are your thoughts on this? (Note, a freezer or large fridge is simply not an option for me, I need a mini fridge, nothing else will work)

Charles.

ChopperCharles said:
My space requirements are such that a mini fridge is the only availible option.

So my choices are spending $699 from Sears on the Kenmore (must be ordered), or $399 for an Avanti floor model from my local Best Buy (in stock), then $55 on a temp controller (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26.html) to keep the beer from freezing.

What are your thoughts on this? (Note, a freezer or large fridge is simply not an option for me, I need a mini fridge, nothing else will work)

Charles.
You don't want to just get the Sanyo and convert it? The Kenmore model does not come with a CO2 tank...+~$70

If the 4912 will fit a 1/2 barrel keg, I'll convert it. But I have to be able to buy kegs at the liquor store and have them fit.

What are the dimensions of a keg?

Charles.

ChopperCharles said:
If the 4912 will fit a 1/2 barrel keg, I'll convert it. But I have to be able to buy kegs at the liquor store and have them fit.

What are the dimensions of a keg?

Charles.
It wont fit a 1/2 barrel, its not deep enough

John Beere - great setup. I'm going though the process of upgrading my current system. Basically trying to get away from the "cold box with some tubes" to a high quality, tweakable system to guarantee a perfect pour. This will include dual VM/Perlicks, ss shanks, dual regulator, etc. Two questions for you:

1. Since I have a 5lb and a 20lb tank, I really want a remote regulator mount like you have shown on the first page.

keg9.jpg

Only difference being is that I'll probably mount it on the outside for more interior room. What parts are needed to use an inline regulator how you have it setup? Particularly, the fittings and monster hose between the reg/tank.

2. The liquid yeast bottle thing seen here is slick.

keg5.jpg

But is this desired? I understand wanting to measure a more stable and closer-to-beer temp, but what happens when you put a warm keg in a cold fridge?

John Beere said:
The next thing I did was to see how cold the fridge would go if I just turned it on "maximum". I don't know exactly how cold it will go b/c I stopped it at 26 degrees... this was good news because if "maximum" wouldn't go to at least freezing I was going to have to bypass the thermostat.

I then wired up a Ranco thermostat to the unit and mounted it in the rear next to the compressor.

keg4.jpg

By setting the fridge to "maximum" I can now completely control the temperature of the fridge all the way down to freezing if I want...

For the temperature probe, I did the exact same thing as my walk-in cooler and used a White Labs yeast container filled with the goop from a freezer pack. I pushed the probe through the drain plug into the fridge and mounted it at the very top as near to the front as I could. It is attached with two heavy zip ties.

keg5.jpg

Thats as far as I've gotten so far as my tower hasn't arrived yet... so it will be a few days before I get to drilling out the top.

Why did you mount the controller on the back? how do you change the temp easily? it look like you would have to move the kegger everytime you wanted to change the setting. Am I missing something?

My temp controller is also mounted on the back. It hangs by a screw - I can easily lift it off the screw, adjust it, and put it back when I'm done.

Buford said:
My temp controller is also mounted on the back. It hangs by a screw - I can easily lift it off the screw, adjust it, and put it back when I'm done.
Why did you use 2 3/4" as the hole diameter? Why not 1 3/4 or 2"?
Just curious. I don't have a 2 3/4 holes saw, and don't want to buy one if I can use one of my smaller ones.

Arbitrary decision... I didn't have a hole saw and needed to buy one so I got that size.

I took the top two screws out of the cold plate in the back of the fridge and mounted the regulator to it.

keg8.jpg

Here it is hooked up to my 5 lb tank.

keg9.jpg

I would like to separate my co2 tank from the regulator and connect it with a hose like the above pics. I think it is nice to have the regulator high and visible so it is easier to adjust. But all the tubing I find is rated for 300psi only and that doesn't seem safe enough for a full co2 tank. What tubing did you use here and does anyone know where to get it?

Nate

Hey, I just saw this.. Sorry. I am not too sure what that hose is as it came with the regulator. While it works well, it is very stiff to bend.. But I guess that makes sense when you think how much pressure it holds. I wish I knew more.. I bought it off eBay and have never seen another like it. Sorry

The difference is in the regulator. The Taprite regulator body uses left hand threads and the Chudnow (and I believe most others) use right hand threads. The CGA320 connector to the tank would be the same for either hose.

Ended up with dual stainless perlick in a Sanyo for about 400. Those ones at wallyworld may be good if your not comfortble with drilling holes in a used fridge... Otherwise I doubt you'll save much. I'm begging they don't come with a gas tank or homebrew connections, prob sanke adapter

Ended up with dual stainless perlick in a Sanyo for about 400. Those ones at wallyworld may be good if your not comfortble with drilling holes in a used fridge... Otherwise I doubt you'll save much. I'm begging they don't come with a gas tank or homebrew connections, prob sanke adapter

It comes with a 2.5lb tank and dual regulator. Maybe not homebrew connections, plus I would want to have dual taps which means a new tower. Might as well do it myself. Im relatively handy and drilling it doesnt seem that difficult. Thanks!

I'm surprised it can with a co2 tank. But at 2.5 I can't imagine it would last wrong. When its hot outside my 5 gal usually only gets 3.5 on a refill.

Your prob better off doing it yourself... You will have a chance to buy better parts from the getgo

I'm surprised it can with a co2 tank. But at 2.5 I can't imagine it would last wrong. When its hot outside my 5 gal usually only gets 3.5 on a refill.

Your prob better off doing it yourself... You will have a chance to buy better parts from the getgo

Still pretty torn. I dont even know if I will be able to find the Sanyo locally, and ideally under $200. The igloo is attractive because its 6 cubic ft which is quite a bit and might be able to hold 3 cornies plus CO2. I would also be able to use it right away while I slowly piece together components for a 2/3 tap tower. I only work part time because Im a student so money flow isnt constant.

You could always use a picnic tap while you save for the tower. Also, do a search. There are several models that work well... sanyo was just the most popular. I got mine discounted due to it being discontinued, so they are prob going to be even harder to get.

Add up the cost of a tower, 5 lb tank, ball lock connecters, and a regulater. Then figure you spend that anyway... Either upgrading you wallyworld one or installing on the new one. Sometimes buying the right part once is cheaper than replacing crappy parts you already paid for

Back