Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sanke keg spring clip removal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
TacoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Sanke keg spring clip removal

I just purchased a discontinued (nonreturnable) keg off craigslist for $12 to turn into a brew kettle. Now, I've read the articles and watched all the videos on removing the spear, but for the life of me I can not get the spring to pop out. I've been able to fit a tiny screwdriver in the notch and I got it to budge a little, but before I can get it to pop out either the screwdriver will slip or it'll begin to strip the edge of the spring. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you build a jig that goes around the outside of the stem, you don't have to take the stem out. Just release the pressure and drill a hole in the top and fill halfway with water. Cut away.

It's a Miller keg isn't it?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

It's a Bud Light keg. Regardless, I'd still like to be able to get the stupid clip out, but I seem to be having better luck breaking my screwdriver than getting the thing to budge another millimeter.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
RPGonzo
Recipes 

We couldn't get one of ours out easily either, we ended up drilling a "sight" hole aligned with where the alignment mark is. From there we were able to easily remove the clip, but at the sacrifice of a single hole in the lid.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

did you vent the pressure first

Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrew View Post
It's a Bud Light keg. Regardless, I'd still like to be able to get the stupid clip out, but I seem to be having better luck breaking my screwdriver than getting the thing to budge another millimeter.
Been there. Said screw it and cut the thing off without dealing with the stem. Makes me wonder why anyone would unless they plan on using the top for a lid.

A Campbell's Soup can cut open with a Side Cutting opener fits right over the stem perfectly. Best jig I have seen has just a loop of string that went around the stem and grinder. Simplicity at it's finest.

Good luck getting that stem out........

Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

It's not that difficult... Take it outside, get a rag/towel to cover the top hole (where the spear is) and use a large (flathead) screwdriver to depress the ball in the middle... Use the towel to catch any liquid/spray that comes out of the keg. Once all the pressure has been released, the ring will come out easily.

Did it this way on four 1/6 kegs just the other week... Without releasing the pressure, the ring is pretty much impossible to get out.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
BendBrewer
Recipes 

I think some kegs are just more difficult than others. I hit that freaking ring as hard as I could with a hole drilled into the top of the keg. I don't think I moved that thing 2 cm.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
I think some kegs are just more difficult than others. I hit that freaking ring as hard as I could with a hole drilled into the top of the keg. I don't think I moved that thing 2 cm.
2cm is almost an inch you know... Or did you mean 2mm?

I did find that if you release the pressure from within the keg first, it makes a huge difference... I broke a small screwdriver, as well as the one in my old Leatherman trying to get one ring off (before releasing the pressure)... Once the pressure is released, you just need to get behind one of the segments, and get it to get out from under the lip. If you go with the part that's closer to the end of the ring, then you get get that out and slip the screwdriver under it and get the ring out really easily... I wish I had taken some pictures of it now, so that I could show you what I'm talking about.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The first thing I did was remove the pressure--it isn't budging. Might try to drill the hole next. I understand that it isn't necessary to remove the stupid thing and no I don't plan on using the top as a lid, but now it is a matter of pride that I can defeat a stupid millimeter thick piece of coiled metal.

Quick Reply