Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sanke Keg fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
toolboxdiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sanke Keg fermenter

has anyone used a sanke keg as a fermenter not cutting the top and using the sanke tube maybe cut a inch off to transfer to corny kegs with CO2 when fermintation is complete.
I was also thinking about putting a ball vave on bottom to drain off the yeast slurry. That will be a little difficult to connect but I can make up a tool to insert the close nipple from inside.
Just been thinkin it would be nice to ferment a 10 to 12 gal batch in one vessel just pop out the sanke tube, clean, sanatize, fill, pop in a stopper with airlock or blowoff tube and let it ferment after it's ready pop off the stopper and reinstall the sanke tube and transfer to corny kegs with a sanke tap, force carbonate chill and drink.
Any coments or sugestions will be a big help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been using un-modified sanke keg's as fermenters for about a year. they work great (although a bit difficult to clean)

Remove the spear and valve body, then get a sanke fermentation cap, or just modify a 2" triclamp blank.

http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits

Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've not fermented in my 1/6 Sanke kegs yet, but I'm aging in one right now, and plan on fermenting in another with my next batch. I simply removed the spears and that's it... You can fit one of the large universal bungs in the opening and not need to get any other (expensive) hardware to ferment in them. Use some fermcap in the wort and you shouldn't even need a blow-off tube. That's what I did in a 5 gallon corny keg... Just fit an airlock and you're good to go (just be sure to use fermcap)...

Personally, the 1/6 size kegs are fine for using the regular auto-siphon in for transfers. Just confirmed this about 10 seconds ago with the tube from my auto-siphon into one of my empty Sanke kegs... More than enough left coming out of the opening, when it bottoms out inside. That's without the small part on the bottom of the tube too.

If you want to use the expensive setup for the Sanke, go ahead. But, I think you can do it on the cheap without much effort at all... I don't mind letting the brew transfer via auto-siphon to the bottling bucket.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with four Sanke keg spears... The tops have enough weight, and they're long enough, to make rather nasty maces/clubs...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Couldn't you just take the guts out, and put an airlock w/ a rubber stopper in the hole?

Rack with a racking cane of some sort thats long enough to get down to the bottom?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1537 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

I've haven't heard of a rubber stopper, although it would work. From what I hear, the orange carboy caps work very well for fermenting in a Sanke.

I've contemplated going this route, but am hesitant about siphoning out of it as it would mean lifting the Sanke with 10 gallons of beer to a high enough elevation to siphon from...

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I've haven't heard of a rubber stopper, although it would work. From what I hear, the orange carboy caps work very well for fermenting in a Sanke.

I've contemplated going this route, but am hesitant about siphoning out of it as it would mean lifting the Sanke with 10 gallons of beer to a high enough elevation to siphon from...
If you used the orange cap and had CO2 why not have the racking cane in one of the openings in the cap and use the other to force in CO2 to push the beer out. I have done it this way with the carboy caps on better bottles so that I could have a completely closed transfer.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
cuart682
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just pulled the spears out of mine and use them as they are with no modification. a #10.5 rummer stopper or 11 stopper will fit in the hole in the top i just run my tubing out of that and then add an airlock after fermentation has slowed. they are a little tough to clean i use a pressure washer and a carboy brush and then use a mirror to make sure the inside top is clean.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

WortMonger has an excellent write up on his system: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/clos...chnique-44344/

The wiki version of the article has nice pictures without having to wade through 700+ posts. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...d_fermentation

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHatPat View Post
Couldn't you just take the guts out, and put an airlock w/ a rubber stopper in the hole?

Rack with a racking cane of some sort thats long enough to get down to the bottom?
Yes, and I've done it. But the rubber stopper doesn't allow pressurized transfers so it a lot more work to move 10± gallons around to a place to siphon from. The triclamp cover conversions make it a lot easier.

Another cheapy way is to just use a carboy cap (the orage plastic doohickey). Again, same problem of no pressurized transfer.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1537 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

I'm pretty sure you can still do a pressurized transfer with the orange carboy cap.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Quick Reply