Sanke keg as apfelwein fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
So I dropped my sister off at her college apartment yesterday and some kids were dragging an empty Yeungling keg out the front door and I offered them $20 for it, and wouldn't you know those benevolent drunkards just gave it to me!

So eventually its getting turned into a HLT, but really no need until I get started on building my rig. So I was thinking, in the meantime why not pull out the spear, clean it up nice, make 10 gallons of Apfelwein and just throw a stopper and airlock in the tap on top.

Is there any reason why I would not be able to do this and just let it hang out for a month or so. I can't see any reason that I would get any off flavors or problems from using this keg, it just seems like a good use for the vessel.

Any thoughts?

Just give it a good soak w/ some hot water and Oxyclean, rinse well, sanitize and voila`!

I have two sitting in my garage I am pondering what to do with...

I ferment in sanke kegs. After I clean them up I fill them with water and bring it to a boil just to be sure no critters survived. Then on brew day when I'm chilling the wort, I use the runoff to fill the keg one more time with star san to sanitize it. I pour the sanitizer out right before I pour the cooled wort in.

That sounds like a great idea. How do you take the spear off? I would definitely use this to ferment large batches of cider, but don't know how to disassemble the commercial keg.

You dont need any special tools at all, Bobby M did a really great tutorial on youtube, just search keg to kettle conversion. Basically you just remove a washer around the top of the keg, use a flat head screwdriver to knock out a gasket and the spear just comes right out of the center leaving you with a great vessel.

...remembering to *FULLY* depressurize the keg before removing the spring washer. :)

oh yes very important, yeah stale beer in your face is the pinnacle of suck, lay the keg on its side and depress the ball lock with a screw driver.

Latest posts

Back