Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Sanity Check

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Beer_Maker
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sanity Check

First of let me caveat by saying that I am not holding all of the parts in my hand to do this...

Now, how feasible is it to run a 240v extension cord from say a dryer or electric range outlet to operate the heating element for an eKettle?

Second question... How would you feel about this if you were the home owner and your tenant wanted to do this?

-Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1. Have your renters insurance payed up.
2. See what clauses exisit in said insureance if house gets burrned down.
3. make sure all smoke alarms are in good working order.
4. Get fire extinguisher that includes working for electrical fires.
5. Very feasible for the dryer plug

its exactly what i do, only thing is i can't brew on laundry day. this is just a pocture of the plug and wire. one thing i would do dinfferent is spring for the flexible cable, instead of the rigid stuff i did.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not an expert, but that is exactly what I use for doing live sound for bands, and what I'll power my E-rig with when I build it this summer. 100' of 6-4 SOOW cable, to a breaker box. The breaker box has receptacles wired to it so I can power speakers, amps, lights, and whatever else I need on stage. In your case, the breakers would go to your various circuits in the brew rig.
I'll attach pics when I get a chance...

I'm sure I'm begging for trouble, but I'll say it anyway. The only difference between a 110v extension cord and a 220v extension cord, is the number of conductors, their size, and the COST! Go to your favorite home store and pick up some "SOOW" cable. It's rubber jacketed, water proof, and flexible. There are several online calculators that can tell you what gauge wire to use for your load, and the length of the run. Just put the appropriate 220 plug on one end, and terminate the other end in your distribution box at the sculpture. Then you can add breakers for each circuit there.
As for the landlord, don't worry about it. ASSUMING YOUR RIG IS WIRED PROPERLY it's no more dangerous than plugging in your TV. I've never hired an electrician to plug in my TV. Or my range for that matter.
That said, +1 on paying your renters insurance. You never know when the garbage disposal is going to start on fire.
And don't touch the shiny parts! It sucks...

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 03-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Beer_Maker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
And don't touch the shiny parts! It sucks...
I know what you mean. I routinely work around voltages in the -17KV range. I once got my forearm across some posts on a relay that had one phase of 440V 3 phase 60Hz one... Sucked real bad!

And if you have ever had the pleasure of getting bitten by 400hz power...Not real fun either.

-Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Beer_Maker

Recipes 

I think I found something that might work...

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Cords-Cord-Management-Extension-Cords/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zbmc7/R-100665722/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It is completely feasable and safe, so long as you make sure you have a large enough sized conductor extension cord. It is a function of anticipated current draw, and length of the extension cord. As the current draw or the length of the cord increase you need larger and larger conductors as you drop more voltage over longer runs of cord. There are several calculators out there to help you determine the correct gauge cord.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply