Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Salvage Brewing Co. - build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been brewing for many years now, but have never come up with a good name for my "brewery". Lately I've been brainstorming a new single tier system... And I woke up at 3am last night with the answer! (my brain solves a lot of things when I sleep)

Salvage Brewing Co.
"Several men's trash, is another man's brewery."

Background: I did buy a lot of new stuff when I started out, but quickly realized that I could repurpose many things to accomplish the same ends - delicious beer! When I moved to all-grain, I snagged two 10gal powerade coolers from the university, destined for the dumpster. Next, I dug out my great uncle's (and namesake) 100 year old aluminum lobster pot from the rafters of my parent's garage. Boil kettle, mash tun, check. Cost, $15 in fittings.

This worked great for several years.... Until I stumbled on a 1/2 bbl keg, sitting on the side of a friend's parent's house for over 15 years (since a high school party I might have been at). It was upside down and the skirt was full of dirt and had grass, dandelions and maple saplings (literally 3' tall saplings) growing in it. Now it's a boil kettle.

This brings me to my best salvage piece(s) to date:

That's a custom made diffuser for an aeration system in a lake or pond. I manage lakes and ponds for a living, and these were old, clogged and useless for aerating...not to mention way way way over engineered for their intended end-use. We replaced them with normal diffusers and the home owner's said to get rid of the old ones.

Lucky for me, they used all stainless square tubing and 1/2" stainless plates and I have 3 of 6 right now...... Perfect for a single tier brew stand! :-)

I will update this build thread as I make progress. I would really like to find one Miller and one Coors keg, to make a BMC keg trio (have the B).

MT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Looks interesting, do you have any more pics of the aerator?

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
mthompson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n View Post
I'm going to bust all the plastic heads off today. I'll take some with a real camera instead of the phone. Whoever made them could weld. They each have a 1/2" pipe on the end that is threaded for attaching hose barbs to attach the air line to. Then the air comes out of the 2" square tubing into each diffuser disc from a smaller threaded nipple (I imagine). The discs are somehow how locked on too, and don't just screw off.

I'm pretty excited to get this project started. I hate having to get out 30 pieces of equipment and tables and bricks and grill grates to brew... Then putting it all away! My goal is one stand, with the kegs storing underneath and easily disconnected mounts for the pump and chiller (thinking hitch type pins). I want a silicone tubing holder and maybe a lp tank mount on it somewhere, too.

I have a bunch of pictures off the great brew stand pic thread. Each with a piece or two I want to incorporate.... Essentially an HBT hybrid stand.

Plus one idea I haven't seen anyone else do.... Shhhh. ;-)

MT

Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
mthompson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n View Post
Got the diffusers taken off this weekend.

This is what the inside looks like for attachment to the frame:

Air comes out of the slots underneath the washer above, from these holes below:

The bottom of the diffuser heads has an o-ring to seal out water and that tab on the left prevents the whole thing from backing off the threaded post:

After smashing the first couple off with a mallet, the rest had thawed enough that I could just back the top off the threads on the outside of the diffuser head (sort of like the band on a canning jar, just 12" in diameter).

Here is the frame, diffuser free:

Other parts that needed to come off:

Air inlet:

Loops for attaching cables so that it could be lifted out of the water:

Plates on the corners:

I got the threaded posts, and cable loops cut off. Ground the stubs/welds, and then ran over the top and sides quick with a 3M flap disc.

You can sort of see the before (bottom) and after (right hand) the flap disc in this image:

I'm going to work on a mock up/diagram today if I get a chance. I might do a quick Gimp image to help show what I'm thinking.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
mthompson
Recipes 

Here's a quick Gimp image of what I am thinking. I didn't take the time to put the 45° braces in each square.

Thoughts? I know it is pretty standard...

Dimensions: 55" long X 17" Deep

Each square is 17" X 17", with 2" in between each.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
mthompson
Recipes 

I have never used Sketch Up before...it took a bit of futzing, but I got it enough to make this dimensional mock up of the top:

I am tossing around the height of the stand currently. I would like for it to store the kegs underneath, but my figuring says, with casters, it would be like 36.25" high (37" for wiggle room). That would put the kegs tops during brew day at 62". This does not sounds like a comfortable working height to me (5' 10")...meaning everything would be at chin height or higher.

I have time to figure this out though...and that means HBT searchin' time.....

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Ppeg34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im in the pond management business too! Dont see that too often.

Have you considered storing your kegs horizontally. It could get risky if you have a breakable sight glass or anything like that on it. You could weld a semi circle piece of stainless making a sort of rack... I havent seen it done, probably for good reason, though.

Man i bet thats some cold work youve got going on up there!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
mthompson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppeg34 View Post
Im in the pond management business too! Dont see that too often.

Have you considered storing your kegs horizontally. It could get risky if you have a breakable sight glass or anything like that on it. You could weld a semi circle piece of stainless making a sort of rack... I havent seen it done, probably for good reason, though.

Man i bet thats some cold work youve got going on up there!
It has been cold; 6°F the other day, but I have a kerosene torpedo heater that can melt anything within 8 feet. I usually try to keep the shop around 40-45° F with that.

I need to search for stand heights and why people settled on them. Laying them down might work, but I'd have to take the sight glasses and glass lids into account. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards a lower stand height.

MT

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default single tier height

mthompson, looks like a great start.

I designed my single tier stand to store my keggles and MLT under it on a shelf. My stand it just under 33" tall, and it will fit two keggles under it on the shelf but no MLT. I failed to account for the burner and wind shield eating up valuable space. I did save some height by not using castors, it has two wheels in front so I can move it like a wheel barrow. My wheels are used but I think Harbor freight of Northern tool sells them cheap.

One thing you can do to save some height is to use pots instead of keggles, or just trim the skirt at the top of the keggle and have someone weld handles on the sides. I may have to take my own advise and do a little trimming of the top skirt and wind shield to finally fit everything on the shelf.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress with lots of pics. The link to my setup is at the bottom of my post if you need a visual.

Third keezer in progress
Tap handles
Pinlock 0-ring sizes
Pot Skirt

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
mserke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Have you thought about mounting that top that you did in sketchup so that it would rotate flat and latch onto the legs and then become unpinned and rotate back down when not in use so you can still store kegs and have a height that is usable for brewing?

Quick Reply