Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Rusting water heater element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
HarkinBanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just got aluminum lock nuts from Wayne at bargain fittings. They seal nicely with a silicone washer. Preliminary results after two test boils = no rust. I was getting noticeable rust with SS lock nuts and my all SS system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #12
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good idea on the aluminum nut. I had bought some aluminum flashing to put behind the SS nut in my new system, thus creating an anode out of the aluminum so that it will take the corrosion instead of the steel (since SS is more noble than the mild steel, we get galvanic corrosion)

But the aluminum nut is even better, I'll buy that!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #13
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can throw in one of those fire starters for camping. They are magnesium - will act as a sacrificial anode. Which is what your aluminum nut will do too - eventually corrode away.
There's another thread around here on sacrificial anodes....

too much time on my hands.... rust discussion

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Last edited by beerocd; 03-20-2010 at 03:47 AM.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
ACorral
Recipes 

I'm gonna try to put a small piece of aluminum in my HLT and see if that works. If I notice any improvements I'll buy the aluminum locknut.

beerocd - have you used the fire starters? Any noticable affect on your beer. Is the rate of corrosion noticable? Those things contain a small percentage of zinc, isn't a problem for our brews?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will be soon, just finished my electric setup. AiredAle is currently using magnesium in his kettle. Basically the idea is the same as in hot water heaters. The anodes are either aluminum or magnesium rods. Maybe I can fasten it to the dip tube somehow instead of drilling the kettle.

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

We'll see how long the aluminum nuts last. I always have the SS ones sitting around if they go that fast. They are pretty thick and sturdy, I think they will last a while.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could just toss the nut in, and leave the stainless stuff in place. And when the aluminum pits, corrodes and whatever it doesn't affect the integrity of your kettle.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well you need the aluminum or magnesium to be in contact with the mild steel for it to act as a sacrficial anode. That's why I bought aluminum sheet to go behind the locknut (in contact with the base of the element) and also why the aluminum locknut works.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #19
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was pretty sure the water provided the "contact". The anode in your water heater doesn't touch the walls of the heater or the elements. This is just academic now - you've got your solution. I'd just like to know if my thinking is wrong or not.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #20
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hmm good point about the liquid making the contact. In the water heater I do think the annode is screwed into the lid and thus in direct contact with the mild steel (though I think a lot of the better water heaters are glass lined as well). I suppose it would be simple to test this. Since I know my kettle will rust mild steel, I'll just throw a piece in there with water, boil it for an hour or so, see if it rusts, which it should. Then put some aluminum on the bottom of the kettle plus the mild steel, not touching, see if it rusts.

Quick Reply