Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Rust suppression in a radiator, suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
Kyled93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWetNorth

I know distilled water is recommended for use in rads, but I have to disagree with the wording of that. The minerals may leave deposits that build up over time (which is why you use the distilled water), but the water itself is what reacts with the steel to cause the oxidization (which is why you also use anti-freeze or some other corrosion inhibitor). Yes ? No ?
I agree with that statement. Actually the more pure water is the more corrosive it becomes. We run in to this quite often in the commercial HVAC industry. The water removed from air in an air handler is pure and loves to eat steel condenser pans.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyled93 View Post
.Actually the more pure water is the more corrosive it becomes...
Not so actually. Corrosion reactions are often limited by the conductivity of the electrolyte, which tends to increase with the amount of ions in solution. Corrosion is an electrochemical process... not at all like dissolving some salt in water.

P Glycol is a mild corrosive on it's own. Been using pure p glycol in di water with an off-the shelf tranny radiator for many years however. I would recommend an inhibitor if it was certified food grade etc. Have not done the research, but I'd bet the ones sold by micromatic etc are good to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply